Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Week 25 - Working More Hours

After my too early back to work fail from the week before, I decided to lower my expectations and scheduled PT at 1:00 on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. That left me with down time after PT, which clearly I needed. I did make it until 3:00 on Tuesday and then worked until 6:15 on Thursday so despite mostly half days, I still worked more than the previous week.

I stepped it up in other areas than work too so clearly was getting some energy back. I got a wild hair mid-week and did some work with my plants. I had all the plants from work still at home and they were in spots that had gotten light in the winter but not anymore. So I repotted a few things and put them outside then pulled a plant shelf from the basement, washed it up and put it on the tall dresser by the window in the spare room. It gave me 3 shelves to load up with violets then I put saran wrap down on the dresser and put more plants in front of the shelf. By the time I was done, the plants were in much better shape and I was able to take 2 tables out to the garage. Someday I'll get back to campus and will take a bunch of the plants, mostly violets, back to the windowsill in my office. Not that I'm in any rush.

We got a surprise email late on Thursday announcing that the U would observe Juneteenth and we'd get Friday off. I'd already made plans with Anne for her to come over for supper so now we'd have all the time in the world. I did go out in the morning and weed some in my veg beds because it had rained so it was easy weeding. And yes, I was in my nightie. I wasn't making anything fancy for dinner - stuffed shells (frozen from Aldi) with jarred sauce - but I did make apple enchiladas for dessert. Anne stopped at Trader Joe's for me and picked up some Kumato tomatoes for me so I can have some taco salads with lettuce from my garden. We ate, chatted and knitted. It was fun.

Saturday was a big day for me. I'd only driven within Wahoo but Saturday was spinning in Fremont and I was driving. My thought was that it would be a long drive followed by hours away from home so if I was too tired to drive home, Andrea would take over. Spinning was watching a video in a darkened room so I was nodding off but when the lights came on, I was ready to rock and roll. We hit Goodwill and 2 grocery stores and I was still fine to drive home. It was a long day but felt normal and clearly I was making progress.

Next on the list was swimming. I had convinced Lorri to try water aerobics in Lincoln so I drove us down Sunday evening for 6:15 swimming. I was very careful and didn't last through the whole class but it felt great to be in the pool. The cool water seemed to help my swelling, which isn't bad but also not gone after 4+ weeks (that's normal but I still am ready for it go be gone), and I didn't hurt myself. Yay!

So how was that for a full week? Working 3 half days was definitely a smart move. That left me with energy to get some other things done rather than being so exhausted that I did nothing beyond working a few hours. There was also plenty of knitting going on, including this pair. I cast them on to knit while I was biking, which is an hour most days so a chunk of knitting time. All in all, it was a good week with progress on all fronts. I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment