Monday, April 5, 2021

Week 13 - My Dryer Dilemma

So remember when I mentioned in my last post that my dryer had died? Well, this week I was determined to get it fixed but before I could call the appliance guy, I had to deal with the laundry room. That required some adulting.

It was a busy work week that found me starting early on Monday because it was allocation day and I had a 9:00 demo so wanted them prepped before that. I had another demo later that day, trained 2 afternoons and was super frustrated by decisions made on high that affected me and so I had to force myself down to the basement.

But first some fun. Rene came for lunch on Wednesday to pick up some sock yarn. She was learning to knit socks and had run out of the 2nd lot of yarn I'd given her before finishing the pair. I had dug through my stash for more of that yarn and found a few other skeins to give her. I made homemade pizza and we had a lovely lunch. I celebrate all social interactions these days.

Even with that nice lunch, I was still cranky by the end of the day so forced myself downstairs. I headed down right after work and worked long enough to get the laundry room 90% done. The problem was that I hadn't put Christmas boxes back under the stairs for a couple of years so they'd become the base for a pile of crap. So slogging through that was step #1, which I did then put the Christmas stuff away. When I went back upstairs, I had the floor cleared except for one area. Finding a big spider in that corner killed my mojo so I went upstairs. I went back down Thursday after work and finished it all, including washing down my washer and dryer. I then went upstairs, took a shower, ate dinner and was at the library for book club at 7:00. How's that for adulting?

All that productivity meant that I could call the repair man to come on Friday during the day, when he could work in the basement while I was at work upstairs. But I thought I should give the dryer one more try before I called him so headed down first thing. Well, I took the knob off because it had made a funny click when the dryer had died. OMG! After all that work, it was a cracked knob! Why I didn't check that first I can't tell you but when I took it off and turned it with pliers, the dryer came right on. Oh well. At least my laundry room was done but sheesh!

I called the local hardware store, which used to be a Sears appliance store back in the day, and asked if they had any knobs. They said they had a box of them in the basement so bring the old one in and they'd see what they could find. Well if I was going to be out and about, it was time to get the Christmas trees to the city burn pile. One of them still had lights on it so I undecorated it, put the seats down in my car and loaded them up. I then dropped the knob at the hardware store, dumped the trees then went back for the knob. They did find something that'd work and only charged me $1.99. Small town living! I had to use a sharpie to mark where the arrow needed to be but it works just fine. I ended the work week online until 6:00 trying to finish something that I just wanted done. See? More adulting.

After such a productive week and facing a chilly, damp weekend, I gave myself permission to chill and pulled out some crocheting. Yup, you heard that right – crocheting. I started by making the last 50 centers for the granny square blanket that my sister had sent me centers for at Christmas. I figure it was about a 50/50 split between hers and mine and I wanted to start putting them together. I'm here to tell you it was totally addictive. I spent lots of time that weekend crocheting, stopping only long enough to do some laundry.

So in looking back, it was a good week. I should be grateful that I didn't know it was just the knob and so got my train wreck of a laundry room sorted out. It makes me happy every time I go downstairs and I'm heading into garden season so it was good to get that done now. Happy spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment