Thursday, April 29, 2021

Week 15 - Surgery and Sushi

It was a great week with some good news and a milestone then was capped off with more spring gardening, which is always a happy thing. 

First for the good news - I scheduled my surgery! The nurse called back and I assured her that I was good to lose the weight before mid-May and we scheduled it for May 19th. The deal we made was that my GP would calculate my BMI at my pre-op physical on the 11th and send it to my knee doc. I had already lost 6 pounds since starting rotating and have no doubt that I will lose 10 more pounds on time. I was very excited to resolve this and my sister booked her flights so it's all set to go. I am really looking forward to getting my other knee fixed so I can walk like a normal person.

It was a miserably cold week - the kind of damp, bone numbing cold of England in winter - so I didn't get out much. I certainly didn't get my usual grab and go lunch (can't eat that on a 900 calorie Tuesday!) and pretty much stayed in all week. By Friday I needed a break. 

Andrea gets out of work early on Fridays so I took a couple of vacation hours and we headed to Fremont. We got there early enough to hit the Habitat Restore but didn't find much. Then it was on to Goodwill, Aldi and Dollar Tree. Since I was 8 days after my 2nd shot, I was feeling pretty safe so we decided to check out the sushi restaurant. I told Andrea that I would only eat there if there weren't too many people so I was happy that the tables were far apart and there weren't many people inside. We ordered 2 different sushis and it tasted like heaven! It also felt relatively normal to be sitting inside a restaurant for the first time since last summer in Rhode Island. I'll call it my first step on the road back to normal.

I got back out into the garden on the weekend, raking the last 2 beds. The compost from the previous week had compacted enough that I could pile on the last of the leaves. And look who I found in the compost heap - Pixel! I think it's been her warm outside spot all winter and she was basking on the back of the pile where I hadn't dug in yet. Cute.

So I ended the week happy in my garden, with my surgery scheduled and having eaten out with a friend. All good. Things are looking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment