Friday, November 6, 2020

Week 43 - Bringing in Plants

The highlight of the week, if you could call it that, was the hard freeze on Thursday night. It was the end of warm weather and meant I had some work to do. But first the week.

We were getting some much needed rain on Tuesday so I only went to Mocha C's for the weekly grab and go lunch I look forward to, skipping The Warehouse and D's Boutique. I had sorted stocking stuffers and was hoping I could find some for Carolyn, whose basket was a bit skimpy, at D's. Well, it's a good thing I didn't go in there because by the end of the week she was closed because she had Covid. Dodged a bullet there and it's not like Christmas is tomorrow so I'm not stressed. Yet.

Thursday was a good day. UNL's 2nd annual State of Diversity was that morning and was being done on Zoom. So no buffet breakfast like last year but it was a good program and they had zoom breakout sessions that worked perfectly. I even managed to get some knitting time in during the speakers.

The hard freeze was due that night so at the end of the day, I picked all the veg that was left outside - eggplants, peppers, tomatoes and a big bunch of chard. Then I brought in all the plants I wanted to overwinter. I just put them on a rug by the TV until I'd deal with them on the weekend.

The weekend was filled with friends. On Saturday I talked to 2 friends and my sister then pulled the plant stands out of the garage and washed them down in the tub and put them out in the sun on the driveway to dry before heading inside to start some chores. On Sunday I repotted a few of the plants and got them all situated on the plant stands in front of the slider (south window) and the dining room (west window) where they'll live all winter. I also talked to my cousin, my boss and Anne plus zoomed with Dawn in Virginia. How's that for being social while never leaving my house?

I enjoyed apple crisp almost every night after being inspired earlier in the week when faced with nothing for dessert. I made half a batch of apple crisp topping and then every night I prepped one apple and made a single serving of apple crisp in my toaster oven. Because apple crisp is never crisp if you reheat it so this way I got fresh apple crisp in the time it took me to peel one apple. I even used my wonderful 70's Pyrex gratin dishes. Perfect! I can see more of this in my future.

Between dealing with all my plants and talking with family and friends, I finished several knitting projects and managed to fit in just enough chores to be ready for the upcoming week. So another pandemic week was in the books and I survived just fine. I might have even thrived a bit. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment