Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Week 37 - And Now Cold

The headline for the week was definitely the weather. After 100+ feel like temps on Sunday, it was down to 38 with the wind chill by Tuesday. So I went from AC to heat in 48 hours. Sheesh!

The week started with a non-holiday. In order to shorten the fall semester so students could be done at Thanksgiving, UNL had taken away Labor Day as a holiday. We banked the holiday and since I didn't have any plans, it wasn't worth taking the day off so I didn't. There was no knitting either so what drippy start to the week.

I spent the cold week inside, knitting, streaming and quilting. Sound familiar? The rain was lovely though. It rained steadily Tuesday and Wednesday then drizzled on and off on Thursday and Friday. Andrea had gone out-of-town at the last minute and had agreed to water plants for a friend so I inherited that job. Luckily I only watered on Monday and then checked things Thursday so that was easy. The work week was uneventful. I had more meetings than usual, including 4 on Friday, so the days didn't drag. 

When the meds didn't help my shoulder, I decided it must be something with my position at my desk so folded up a small, felted afghan and just raising my butt that little bit helped my shoulder immediately. As soon as that felt better, I did something to my knee. My real one. I was shifting in bed on Thursday morning and something when ka-chunk, leaving me with a painful joint that was bent. Not as bent as my other knee was before replacement but painful. I could only hope that whatever went out of whack would correct itself. Damn! It's always something.

I had a pretty exciting weekend after being holed up all week. I'd made plans to meet Lori at Penzey's in Omaha, get some lunch then knit on her patio. Any thoughts I had of going to Omaha early went out the window when I talked with Caorlyn for hours. I threw on clothes and got there just after noon to find Lori placing an order on her phone because Penzey's was pick up only. I did the same then we checked out the pizza restaurant in the alley beside Penzey's. I'd never noticed it but there it was and it was not only delicious but also vegan friendly, which made Lori happy. We ate outside in the alley (not pretty) then went to her house.

Lori's yard is gorgeous. She has a bed of 6' tall zinnias that were covered with butterflies and the sun came out just as we sat down. It was glorious to see the sun again and we knitted the afternoon away. When she left for 5:00 mass, I headed to Aldi for a big stock up then saw Five Below across the plaza so hit that for a few stocking stuffers. I was home before 7:00. It was a lovely day.

Lorri went to the first live church since March so stopped by afterwards, which felt so back to normal. An illusion, I know. Then though my knee was still problematic, I managed to pull all the driveway weeds, butt in the air for a couple of hours, which I split into 2 stints. I had just gone inside for a cup of tea when the phone rang. I had a nice, long chat with Sharyn, hanging up just in time to drive my weeds to the city burn pile and shower before eating dinner while watching 60 Minutes. Perfect. 


I ended the night downstairs quilting again. I had recently bought a bag of fabric scraps at Goodwill and found someone's tiny crumb quilting attempts mixed in so have been incorporating those in my squares. Why not? I had made 30 squares in the past 3 weeks and was still enjoying it. Here's a picture.

With fall weather finally here, I have high hopes of getting back into my yard in the evenings like I did this spring. My garage also needs attention big time. If I can manage to get one wall cleared, I'd like to have shelves built along that wall so I can get all the collapsed boxes of Corelle off the floor. Someday I want to get back to selling it - maybe on etsy instead of ebay. I also have tons of it in the basement that could go on those shelves, which would free up that space to be my yarn room. Oh the dreams! I live in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment