Friday, May 22, 2020

Week 20 - Friends and Gardening

It was another decent week with productivity at work and home and way more socializing. Responsible, of course.

The socializing started with driveway knitting Monday night. It was pretty chilly and I laid a fire but hadn't heard from anyone so was about to call it off when Erica posted on Facebook that she was on her way. Erica lives 30 miles away so I called Andrea and told her to come on over. I got the fire going early and we chatted until dark, when Andrea left. The fire was going out but Erica and I just kept on talking, having not seen each other in months. By the time she left at 10:45, I was chilled to the bone and crawled into bed with the electric mattress pad on high.

I watched the Survivor finale with Dawn on Wednesday and then Dawn joined Cindy, Lana and me for a zoom over lunch the next day. We miss her SO much. The accountant who replaced her is an introvert. All this was just a prelude. I went full bore social on Friday afternoon when I took the afternoon off.

I ate a quick lunch and headed outside in glorious weather to start planting my containers. It was fun to finally get started on them and I got about 2/3 done before I headed inside for a shower at 2:30. Have I mentioned how much I love my containers? They make me super happy. 

After a much needed shower, I actually contemplated putting on jeans and even had some half on before I saw the error of my ways and threw on a dress. I was due at Van's for driveway beers at 4:30 and then dinner at Anne's with Rene too. But first I wanted to hit Aldi and Trader Joe's and stopped at Urban Trails, a favorite nursery in Lincoln, on the way south. I ran through the 2 markets and got to Van's only a few minutes late. We sat and chatted over my favorite vanilla beer. I left a bit late but got to Anne's just as she and Rene got back with the Mexican food. We sat on the deck until well after dark, chatting away. It felt SO normal. I loved it.

It was supposed to rain all day Saturday but as has been happening all too often lately, it was just dreary with very little rain. Since I hadn't planned to garden, I went to the farm store for more plants, including a beautiful fuchsia, popped into Andrea's shop, grabbed BK for lunch  and then went home. The only thing I managed to do outside, foolishly assuming it would rain any minute, was to break up sticks for the next knitting fire. Lorri stopped by and dropped off plants and Drae dropped by with some groceries she'd picked up for me. Both visits involved chatting in the driveway, which was nice. So not a super productive day but I swore to make up for it on Sunday and settled in for YouTube and knitting.

I got outside before lunch on Sunday and kept going on my containers, planting most of the plants I'd bought the day before. I would have finished but I wanted to make sure to get my veg beds planted and had a 3:00 tea date at Lorri's. I just got them done in time to shower and head over to Lorri's. I was inside her house, which felt odd, and I think me sitting 6 feet away at the other end of their dining room table didn't count as social distancing. Whatever. Lorri and checked out all her garden beds and then I headed home for pulled pork, which I'd cooked overnight and had already shared with Andrea and Lorri. I still had plenty left - the roast was 7+ pounds.

So all in all, it was a good week. I appreciated the time with friends and loved finally getting some time to garden. I can only hope we get some decent weather and it doesn't go to blazing hot right away. Spring weather in Nebraska is so flaky. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment