Sunday, January 5, 2020

Week 51 - Heading Back East

It was the last week before Christmas but things were going swimmingly. I had a few things left but had a plan.

I had scheduled a pick up so left 2 packages at my side door when I went to work and had the 3rd in my car to drop at UPS over lunch. Lana went with me and after UPS we hit the bread store and Aldi. Checking things off with a friend for company - nice. Then I finished my last pair of Christmas socks for Nebraska giving (I still had a bit more on one pair for Rhode Island gifting) at knitting that night. Day one and doing great.

I had a demo scheduled on Tuesday afternoon on one of my databases. While I wasn't nervous about it (I wrote the DB and am confident showing how it works), I slept like crap the night before for some reason and was dragging. I had a nice lunch with Anne, picking up winter solstice sock yarn that I'd pre-ordered and then hitting HyVee, where I bought a bottle of the super yummy Skrewball peanut butter whiskey. The demo went fine, of course. No clue why I lost sleep over it. Oh well.

Wednesday was our white elephant Christmas party, which is always fun. I got a skunk present - old bowling trophies and some silly string. My present was well received though so I was happy. I had planned to wrap during the Survivor finale that night but didn't, spending the evening knitting and messaging with Dawn instead. I needed to bag up the socks for my co-workers but still had Saturday to wrap Carolyn's stocking. 

I got a few more things checked off my list over the next 2 days and heard on Thursday that we'd be getting out at 3:00 on Friday. So I bagged the socks for work Thursday night and they were all well received. When we got out early, I went straight home, blazed up Die Hard and got wrapping. I was done wrapping by dinner time and still had Saturday to pack. For once I had left myself a day of the weekend to get ready. It was lovely to be able to get ready at a leisurely pace. I showered and went to bed early, setting 3 alarms for 3:30.

Well, I woke up before the alarms and thought the clock said 2:30 so laid in bed waiting for the alarm. When it didn't go off after a long while, I put on my glasses to see it was only then 2:30 and I was wide awake so I just got up. I had time for an egg sandwich before heading to the airport. My flights were uneventful and I managed to doze a bit on the 2nd flight. Getting up that early sucked but I was in Rhode Island before noon. 

Deanne picked me up and we met one of our old girl scout friends for lunch. It was fun to catch up and when we left the restaurant, Dee and I drove through my old neighborhood and then stopped to visit Mrs. Bassett, our old girl scout leader. Then we stopped at Dee's mom's house to say hi. By then I was fading so we headed to Carolyn's.  

Carolyn had had a houseful for latkes for the first day of Hanukkah but everyone was gone by the time I arrived, which had been the plan. I ate some leftover latkes and settled in for Christmas week. Carolyn's is my home away from home and I had plenty of time before Christmas so it wouldn't be stressful. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment