Saturday, November 30, 2019

Week 47 - My Sore Thumb

As they say, getting old is not for the faint of heart. Who knew that saving my self from falling when I tripped while cleaning the garage a week before would cause problems this week.

I had noticed my thumb being sore the previous week but out of the blue, it got more painful on Monday, so much so that I struggled to knit at Monday Night Knitting. I didn't give it any thought until I woke up on Tuesday with my thumb throbbing and my entire hand swollen. Yikes! I called my hand doc but they couldn't get me in until the next Monday so I called my GP and made an appointment for later in the day.

Well, based on the location of the burning pain in my thumb, the doctor thought I might have broken my wrist! And the bone she suspected of being broken would require surgery to install a pin. Holy crap! After fitting me for a brace and handing me a prescription for ibuprofen 800's, she sent me off to X-ray. I wouldn't get the results until Wednesday morning so I went home to sit and not knit, which felt totally foreign. The good news was it wasn't broken so I just had to wear the brace, take the drugs and wait. I'll take it!

I was going to the JoJo Rabbit movie with Anne after work on Thursday so didn't have to face another night of not knitting. It was feeling much better by Thursday night (better living through chemistry) and on Friday I was able to not wear my brace at work, which made typing much easier. I went to another Merry Market, this time at the quilt museum, after work on Friday. I had hoped to find some cool stocking stuffers but just ended up buying fabric and a bit of yarn. Go figure. It was fun though. And I knitted a few rows when I got home and lived to tell. Clearly my thumb was on the mend.

Finally I had an entire weekend at home with minimal obligations. Yay! I had a deposit to do for Friends on Saturday morning and then stopped into Andrea's shop for a chat. When I left, I headed to SunMart to check out the turkeys. I didn't make one last year because I was leaving for Norway so soon after Thanksgiving so this year I'd be making one for sure. If I spent $25, I could get a bird for .47/pound but I wanted a small one. Boy did I score on the small bird - 8.5 pounds! In my attempt to spend the $25, I did something I rarely do (I'm a list maker and mostly buy sale items) and just roamed the aisles buying whatever. How old am I that that was fun? I got everything for Thanksgiving except Brussels sprouts, because they looked awful, which is often the case with produce in Wahoo. Oh well. Nearly done was good enough.

I had only been wearing my brace at night and had backed off some on the ibuprofen so tried some knitting on Saturday without a problem. After that success, I decided to do some yard work on Sunday. It was gorgeous out (high 50's and sunny) so I did the most important yard chore before snow flies - cutting down the perennial bed between the sidewalk and the street (called the parking here in Nebraska) so it doesn't act like a snow fence and cover my sidewalk in snow drifts. I got it all cut down and took one load to the city brush pile and threw the rest in my compost pile. It got chilly towards the end so I enjoyed a hot cup of tea afterwards. 

With only a three day work week coming up, I had decided to eat out of the freezer for dinners, making room to freeze some turkey leftovers. That made for a relaxing evening, which I'd earned after all my yard work. I went to bed in hopes that there wouldn't be thumb issues Monday morning. Time would tell.




No comments:

Post a Comment