Friday, November 8, 2019

Week 43 - Some Iowa Fun

It was a good week with bouts of productivity, Taco Tuesday, a yarn score and some travel fun on the weekend.

I started the week with a marathon of getting things done over lunch on Monday. I hit UPS to ship another box of yarn to my sister, dropped all the peanut butter UAAD members had donated at the food bank, got gas and went to the bread store. In an hour. Can I get a hallelujah? And the productivity kept up during the week, with me full on adulting by chipping away each night at my pre-cleaning lady neatizing so I wasn't slamming the night before. Nice.

A bunch of us from work went out for Taco Tuesday on, duh!, Tuesday. We usually do our FAC on Thursdays but since we were going to a new taco place by campus, we did Tuesday. It was fun to hang out with work friends outside of work. We should do it more often.

On the yarn front, I continue to sell yarn. A lot of yarn. I don't know if it's the cooler weather or what but I'm shipping 3-4 packages per week. And since my PayPal balance was over $150, I decided it was time to buy some yarn. I know, I don't NEED it but I got a great deal on someone's sock yarn leftovers. Unfortunately they're coming from Lithuania so it'll be awhile before they arrive. I didn't notice that when I bought them.

I am struggling with swimming these days. I really hate going. I hate the pool, which is too shallow, cold and we only have one lane to work in. I hate that I don't have a locker so have to schlepp all my stuff. I just hate it all. I did go Wednesday but could not bear going on Friday. When we decided to leave at 4:45, that was reason enough to skip. It was nice being home by 5:30.

Saturday was a Des Moines run with Andrea, who had bought something on Goodwill auctions that needed to be picked up. That was in the northwest suburbs and our other destination was West Elm (downtown) so I'd mapped out some thrift shops on the way. We hit Goodwill first to pick up the quilt frame and found a few things there but the other thrifts weren't really thrifts at all. Little did I know that our route was through Des Moines' ritzy neighborhood so the things I'd found were super fancy full of soul-less cast off furniture donated by rich people who redecorate constantly. Ick! From there we hit a skanky and overpriced Salvation Army before finding another Goodwill by chance, where we found more good stuff. So much for all my internet research.

But I had a personal recommendation for lunch at Zombie Burger, which was conveniently right across from West Elm. We put in our names (they'd text when our table was ready) and I got the stocking stuffers I was after at West Elm and then did some other stocking stuffer shopping in the nearby shops. I especially liked Raytown. Our late lunch was delish - deep fried Brussels sprouts, garlic and blue cheese fries and a burger, all of which we split. We shopped a bit more but then headed home, getting to Omaha in time to hit Trader Joe's and Aldi. It was a fun day that also felt productive. Nice.

After such a long Saturday, I holed up on Sunday, which is always lovely even if it is just chores and getting ready for the coming week. No projects got done but there'd be other weekends for that. I'm just hoping for one that's warm enough to make a dent in my garage. With the wackadoo fall we've had, it's looking iffy but I live in hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment