Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Week 48 - Mishap and Thanksgiving

So it was a three day work week (nothing not to like there) and the weather was gorgeous but would be going downhill for the break so I took advantage of a gorgeous afternoon and left Monday at noon to finish prepping my yard for winter. A two and a half day week - even better!

I ran a few errands on the way home, including buying my 2 Christmas trees and a wreath, then I got busy as soon as I got home. While I had done a bunch of work on Sunday, there was still plenty more. I started in the driveway, clearing out all the pots in the wheelbarrow (sorted between trash, save and recycle) then started dumping pots into the newly empty wheelbarrow. When the driveway was cleared and swept, I went around and did the same on the deck. 

As the sun was going down and it was getting chilly, the last thing I did was set up the deck tree. The purple leaf winter creeper that has gotten out of control at the corner of my deck needed some trimming so it wouldn't interfere with the tree. Alas, in cutting that back, I also cut through my phone line. Luckily it was only part way so I still had internet but my landline was dead. Barrelin' Marilyn strikes again! I ended the day on the phone with Windstream and scheduled an appointment for the end of the day Wednesday, when I hoped to be home after being let out of work early.

Windstream has the absolute best tech ever in the Wahoo area. He went out first thing Tuesday, called me at work to discuss the issue and then called back to say he'd fixed it and had called and gotten my answering machine to test the line. Not only that but he'd cut back the winter creeper! Now that's customer service.

Wednesday sped by. Cindy and I worked on decorating our door for the Financial Services door decorating contest, I had lunch with Darla and then they let us out at 3:00. It was a snow sky and I made a beeline home. I had no plans to leave the house again until Monday morning. Heaven! Especially because the weather had turned and it was going to be raw, blustery and snowing on and off for the whole 4 days.

Alas, Pie, my old cat, had been failing. She'd stopped eating and was only licking the juice off of wet food for a week or more. She was super skinny - fur stretched over a skeleton. After getting the turkey in the oven late Thursday morning, I boiled the guts and she ate some of the liver. I then made it my mission to get her eating again. She ate treats and more wet food so I did leave the house on Friday afternoon just to run to the vet for kitty crack cat food - Hill's Prescription Urgent Care. At almost $3/can it's pricey but I knew she would eat it, which she did. I also set up a heating pad on the rug she sleeps on in front of the slider. She seemed to perk up a bit and I spent as much time loving on her as I could over the break.

Having 4 days off with no plans was an absolute treat. Between bouts of sitting, knitting and streaming with Pie on my lap, I managed to get lots done. Literally every single thing on my to do list. So by the end of the day Sunday, surfaces were clear, the fridge was full of food (mostly turkey leftovers but also soup, which I'd made with the carcass that I had in the crockpot overnight on Thanksgiving), I'd made pie for knitting and all the paper was gone through and in the recycling pile. I had loaded the car with things to get out of my house and had organized all of my Christmas stuff. And since Sunday was December 1st, I cast on new socks, which always makes me happy. 

I hope you all had as nice a Thanksgiving as I did. Now on to Christmas! My inside tree is waiting in a bucket of water in the laundry room and the naked wreath I hung on the door is mocking me but it'll all get done. Having spent most of last December in Norway and then going straight to Rhode Island from there, this year feels leisurely. I'll take it!


No comments:

Post a Comment