Thursday, October 24, 2019

Week 42 - A Trying Week

It was a trying week all around. It seemed to just be one thing after another all week long but at least the weekend was fun.

First off was the tiny house fiasco. I am going to Berkley next month to meet up with Connie after her conference is over. Since she was already booked into a hotel during the conference, we had decided that I’d book the Alcatraz tickets and she’d book the hotel. But when the hotel ended up costing $389/night, I suggested we consider an AirBnB instead and sent her a link with options in Berkley. She expressed concern that most of them had only one bed, to which I said that I was OK sharing as long as it was a queen sized bed and reminded her that we’d need parking for the rental car.

Fast forward to this week when I poked her having heard nothing back from her. Well, she sent an email saying she’d book this little house. Yes, a tiny house that’s 9x10 feet, with a double bed up a ladder, no kitchen, no seating and an outside shower. In November, when the average high temp is 67 degrees. When I emailed to ask what she was thinking, she said she might have booked the wrong one but didn’t want to cancel and lose money. We went back and forth and when I mentioned the outside shower and how cold it would be in the morning, she said “Outside shower?” I don’t think she even read the listing! But at least the shower was the deal breaker so she cancelled that listing and booked us a reasonable apartment. Sheesh!

I had a colonoscopy scheduled for Friday so would be out of work Thursday and Friday, which meant the only night I could swim was Wednesday. Much as I wanted to go straight home (water aerobics is no longer any fun now that we’re in the lap pool), I headed to the Rec Center. Well, when I was leaving the parking lot, I backed into a traiiler hitch that was sticking out 2 feet from the back of a construction trailer that was parked in the lot. It was blocking half of the driving lane. So the same parking lot and now I have a big honkin’ dent in my freshly repaired hatch. OMG! I could not believe it and vented to Anne when  I got home. At this rate, the colonoscopy wasn’t looking so bad!

Now this would be my 3rd colonoscopy and 4th colon prep but things clearly have changed since my last one. I had a list of foods I couldn’t eat for a week before (basically anything with fiber) so ate like crap all week. Then my prep was all over-the-counter – Dulcolax tablets to start with a Gatorade chaser with miralax mixed in. They wanted me to start at 1:00 with the pills then do half of the Gatorade starting at 4:00. All of that was fine but they wanted me to do the 2nd half of the Gatorade 6 hours before my procedure, which was at 8:30 a.m. I had asked if I could do it sooner and they insisted it had to be 6 hours before so I set an alarm for 2:30 and got up and started drinking.

I think my problem was I went back to bed after the first 2 doses. When the alarm went off for the third, I knew things were not going well. As happened last time I did colon prep, it was no longer moving past my stomach, which felt distended. I paced through the house, trying to settle my stomach but nope. I barfed it all up at 4:00, gave up and went to bed. At least I got a few more hours of sleep but I was nervous that I wasn’t all cleaned out so went early to discuss it. I paced around the hospital waiting for the verdict but they said they’d do it anyway. Big relief! 

Two nurses had trouble finding veins in my left wrist and the back of my right hand so I left with huge bruises but the new short acting anesthesia was great. I was a bit woozy at the hospital but by the time I walked into my house (delivered by my friend Lorri, whose husband drove my car back so I didn’t have to go back later) I felt fine. There was no fatigue at all and after eating my way through my kitchen, I had a lovely afternoon. The week was looking up!

Andrea and I were headed to Fremont for spinning but were going early to hit a Habitat Restore that neither of us knew was there plus a craft fair. The Restore was in a warehouse area by the tracks, which might explain why we’d never seen it, and was enormous! It had way more than the usual furniture and building supplies, with lots of kitchen stuff and was very neat and organized. I could have spent hours there but we had places to be so powered through. I found all kinds of fun stuff and then we hit the craft fair, closing the place down. I got a few stocking stuffers so it was worth it and we were only 45 minutes late for spinning but appeared to have missing nothing of import. It was a big group and they’d moved the tables so we were all sitting in a circle, which was much better. From there we hit Goodwill (lame compared to the Restore) and Aldi before stopping at KFC for $3 bowls for dinner. It was nearly 8:00 by the time we got home but it had been a good day.

I ended the week with my usual Sunday routine – CBS Sunday morning, chatting with my sister and then cooking up a storm. I even organized the freezer, finding some stuffed shells to bake in the leftover jarred sauce I had in the fridge. I love ending the week with all the food for the following week ready to go in the fridge and my chores done. Despite the early issues in the week, I ended on a positive note so all was good in my world. Yay!



No comments:

Post a Comment