Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Week 41 - Fall Has Arrived

Having run out of steam Sunday night, I got up Monday morning and made a pie for knitting with the strawberries and rhubarb that I'd thawed. How can a week that starts with pie baking not be good? The day got even better when I went to Joann's at lunch to use 2 coupons on sock yarn, of course, and found boxes and boxes of clearance yarn right up front. I sorted through them all and found many, many skeins of Serenity Sock for $2.97 each. Score! Then knitting was fun, with 2 pies because Drae brought a pumpkin pie. I had some of both and all of leftovers got sent home with Donna for Ed. Gotta keep that man in pie since he's so helpful when I need stuff done in my house. It's time to make a serious list for him.

I went back to Joann's on Tuesday to get whatever sock yarn they had left. I got a few single skeins to use for dyeing. I went straight home after work to prep for the cleaning lady so I wouldn't be frantic on Wednesday night. I got busy immediately and had everything except the dishes, which needed to soak, done before I sat down for dinner. I swam on Wednesday and then did the dishes over the course of the evening, doing a few at each ad break during Survivor. Easy peasy and ready for a clean house.

While the weather had been fall-ish for the past week, we were getting our first freeze on Thursday night so I went home and put plants in the garage rather than dirty up my clean floors. I did bring in my lantana tree and the cats found a big praying mantis on it, which I prompty put outside. But when I shook it out of the jar, I didn't see where it landed and then something poked my foot so I screamed. It was a stick. Ha! Anyway, it looks like the plants can go back outside after the weekend for at least a couple of weeks. Nice. I also picked all the green tomatoes, a few peppers and a sink full of chard, all of which I washed Friday before work. The end of another gardening season.

I made a big to do list for the weekend. I had called to have my trash picked up next week (I have a will call can so pay $20 each time they pick it up, which is only a few times/year) so wouldn't be starting my garage until I had an empty trash can. I'd also stopped at Hoot & Sadie's, the chalk painted furniture store in town that wanted the desk I have in my garage, and the woman is out of town until the 15th so no point pulling that out. Clearly the cleaning gods were against me so the garage would wait. Oh well.

While I was loving sitting in the sun in my nightie on Saturday morning, I forced myself to get dressed and head outside for just a bit after lunch. I pulled the bent tomato cage out of the trash to make a bit more room and then put a few things from the garage in there but the real reason to be outside was the beggar's tick. It's a weed that grows prolifically in my yard. Last year, I was good about pulling it out before it went to seed and there was less growing this year. But I hadn't pulled it this year and the cats were bringing the stickers inside on their fur. So I started pulling it, getting covered with burrs, and then drove the full bag to the city burn pile so the seeds would be gone. It took me half an hour to pick the burrs out of my clothes and I just threw the hoody in the bathtub to deal with later. Next year I need to pull them earlier for sure.

Sunday was a lovely day. It felt like the first normal Sunday in a long time, which means I did chores. After a lovely breakfast of pancakes and bacon, I sat in the sun enjoying CBS Sunday Morning then kicked it into gear. I pulled 2 bags of sweaters out of my spare room and washed them all on delicate and hung them out on the line to dry along with my sheets. Then I got busy on the food front. I made a huge pot of red sauce, carrot raisin salad and prepped and froze all the chard and the salsa pork and rice I had in the fridge. It felt like a treat to be cooking my own food. Too bad I'm going into a colonoscopy week so have to be careful what I eat. Oh well. October is medical month for me and after this one, I'll be free for 5 more years. Colon health is important. : )

But the high at the end of the week had to be committing to our next trip. Janice, a fellow alum of the Jean Moss trips, posted on Facebook that a few other alums had already booked a Baltic knitting cruise for next May. It's 2 weeks and leaves from Amsterdam, hitting Denmark, Russia (yay!), Finland, Sweden and Norway. the back and forth lasted for days but Anne and I decided to go and gave our info to the travel agent, who was very responsive, on Saturday. So our next trip is all set when we've barely gotten over the last one. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment