Sunday, June 16, 2019

Week 22 - First Deck Knitting

The week started on a lovely note. With all my gardening done, I had just chores to do – laundry, dishes, etc. This left plenty of time for sitting and knitting, which I felt totally justified doing. I was a little sore – just enough to remind me of all I’d gotten done. Perfect!

I started my work week catching up on emails and then cleaned my desk. And I mean actually cleared surfaces and wiped them down with windex, which felt great. I had an update “meeting” with Nora on a bench outside and then prepped for the Zoom demo of my new Financial Toolbox database on Wednesday morning. It was a nice first day back.

So there were more than 50 people listening to the presentation and I went to the training room half an hour early to set up. The machine took 15 minutes to boot up (damn updates) and then didn’t have the connection I needed. I was freaking out and had 2 people helping me but at the last minute we had to move it to my desk and tell the other people in my office to be quiet while I was presenting. I was in full freak out mode but when we started 5 minutes late and the mic went live, I went all professional and got it done. Cindy was amazed at how I pulled it off since I’d been ready to cry minutes before. She told me that several times during the day, to which I replied that if I had gotten to my age and wasn’t able to turn to professional mode on a dime, I’d be useless. Anyway, the presentation went well so all was good in my world.

The day had had an inauspicious start long before the presentation difficulties. When I went into my bedroom to get dressed, I found a big pile of cat puke IN MY BED! And since I’d just taken my heavy winter blankets off the bed, it had soaked through all the layers, even the mattress pad which I only had one of. I stripped the bed, got dressed and left. I’d have to deal with that when I got home. I had a nice lunch with Dodie after my presentation, took a break in the afternoon to read on a bench and then hit Aldi on the way home. Book club was the next day and I had 100 pages yet to read but I also had a few things to get done before I sat down to read. After putting the groceries away, I dug up perennials and loaded them into my car. It had to be that night because Thursday was the last cool day and I couldn’t leave them in my car on a hot day. That done, I picked up the book and read while cooking milk for yogurt. When that was done, I sat down at the dining room table (a rarity) and read until I was done. It was a good book – not happy but kept your interest – Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found. I want to read the sequel.

With my demo done and my desk clean, it was time to go through the stack of paper on my desk. I went through it all and came up with a big to do list and several things to get feedback on, all of which felt good. Then I had a super productive rest of the day. I delivered the plants at lunch and ran errands then taught all afternoon. There was a data "meeting" at The Mill that started at 4:00 but since I didn't finish teaching until 4:15, there was no point going. I left a bit early and bought marigolds and a window box on the way home, planting them as soon as I got home. After grabbing a quick dinner, I went to book club, where we had a good discussion on Blackbird.

Friday was lunch with Layton with meetings before and after so went quickly. Since Lori and Andrea would be coming for lunch on Saturday and I didn't want to be stressed getting ready, I started on the deck as soon as I got home. It was covered with helicopters from the maple and there was crap here and there plus everything was grungy from winter. I started sweeping and filled an entire garden trug with helicopters from my small deck. Then I rearranged furniture and washed down the table. With the deck in as good a shape as it could be, I went inside, happy with getting that done. Now I could have a leisurely morning on Saturday.

And it was wonderful. I slept in and then knitted and streamed the morning away in my jammies. And being the 1st of the month, I cast on new socks, which always makes me happy. I had been planning to make a pie but Andrea was bringing dessert so my work was done. We had a lovely afternoon eating Chinese for lunch then knitting the afternoon away. Andrea brought a 6 pack of various adult beverages so we enjoyed those too. Lori left earlier than Drae, who didn't leave until 7:00 so my day was done. It was as good as it gets.

Sunday was chore day, as usual. It had been a good week, filled with accomplishments at work, fun with friends and enough productivity to feel good about it. All good.

No comments:

Post a Comment