Sunday, April 28, 2019

Week 15 - So Much Excitement!

I had some exciting things this week but in looking back at them, I can tell I'm getting old because very few people would find these things exciting. Oh well. Call me boring. Keep reading if you want. You've been warned.

First up was when my friend cancelled going to the movies on Tuesday. Being an old fart with a flip phone, I didn't see it when she texted first thing in the morning to cancel. So I took a short lunch to make up for leaving at 4:30 for the movie only to find out mid-afternoon that there would be no movie. The weather was gorgeous so I left early to rake. And let me tell you, I was excited to get outside. So much so that my co-worker said he'd never seen anyone so excited about raking. I went right home and raked for almost 2 hours, finishing all my perennial beds except for the one I'd piled sticks in all winter. I went inside that night feeling super satisfied and just the right amount of tired. BTW, I moved the sticks and raked that last bed on Saturday so it was all done. Nice.

Second excitement was my dentist appointment on Wednesday. As happens with age (so I'm told anyway), my two lower front teeth had shifted recently and there was a sharp spot on the corner of one. I don't know if the shift caused a chip or what but I'd spent the last month constantly poking that tooth and irritating the hell out of my tongue. I had tried to get a small mirror in my mouth to see if it was actually chipped but failed. Well, it was chipped and my dentist ground off the corner and life was good! I'm hoping that over time my tongue will stop gravitating to that spot now that it's smooth.

So while those two things may not rate as exciting to you, the last thing was absolutely exciting. I hope. Anne and I were driving to Minneapolis for the world's largest fiber garage sale at the University of Minnesota's Textile Center. We had gone last year but a blizzard forced us to leave right after the sale and drive home ahead of the storm. This year we were excited to enjoy the sale and spend the night in the hotel I'd booked. We met in Waverly because you still can't go east from Wahoo (only 1 bridge of 3 is open from the flood in March) so I drove south to meet Anne. Our ride there was uneventful and we hit Ikea and Lands end before some dram when we got to downtown and our GPS failed us. After a bit of stress getting lost, we did make it there. Next year we'll have to go low tech and print a map.

The sale was fun but I didn't find much sock yarn. That was probably because despite getting there at the same time, we were way further back in the line so most of sock yarn was gone by the time I got there. I did manage to find plenty of other yarn and had time to peruse the books and patterns. We left the sale with full Ikea bags (yes, the huge blue ones) and headed to our hotel. When we saw the Aldi right next store, we decided to grab food there and eat a hotel picnic while going through our purchases. We went to bed satisfied with our day. I might have bought a lot of yarn. : )


After a nice breakfast at the hotel, we headed home. Our plan was to stop at the Spam Museum on the way. Anne had hesitantly suggested it the night before and I jumped at the chance, excited with the prospect. The museum was unique for sure and I had fun in the gift shop. The rest of the trip home was uneventful and I was home by dinner. Definitely a fun mini trip. Sunday was the usual chores to prepare for the coming week. I do enjoy a productive Sunday at home to end the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment