Friday, September 14, 2018

Week 35 - End of Summer


Well, a week that starts with being stood up for breakfast first thing Monday can only get better, right? It actually wasn’t that bad. I did have to be on the road by 6:30 but that’s normal on Tuesdays and Thursdays so not that hard. But the minute I drove up to the restaurant my usual 5 minutes late and didn’t see Darla’s car (she’s always early), I knew she’d forgotten. After sitting in the parking lot for a few minutes and failing to get in touch with her, I ordered takeout and was grocery shopping by 7:30. With that out of the way, I had an easier rest of the day because I wouldn’t have to deal with after work crowds. How’s that for looking on the bright side?

One impulse buy from my early morning shopping was a gorgeous mum for $5 so when I got an email from Lorri Tuesday morning saying she was looking for volunteers to spruce up the Hansen House gardens, I said I would get 2 mums for the planters out front so headed back to Super Saver for 2 more. I picked up a trowel for <$1 at The Warehouse and planted the mums on the way home Tuesday night. Done! Fall like weather had finally arrived so it was actually pleasant.

On the getting things done front, Anne and I bought our tickets for our Norway trip in December, I scheduled a mammogram and 2 doctor’s appointments all for the same October afternoon (to save on sick leave) and I got a long overdue pedicure over lunch on Wednesday. Then the end of the work week was fun.

UNL had a kick off for a new campaign – In Our Grit Our Glory. This started with a big presentation for staff, that was standing room only, and then a free hotdog lunch behind the union. They had DJ’s and free t-shirts and Dairy Store ice cream, which was all fun and full of energy. The perfect fall weather was the icing on the cake. Then when I got back to the office, I found an envelope on my desk that had come through campus mail. I opened it to find the clothesline hanger clips that I’d lost when my neighbor’s tree took out my clothesline. I had been too cheap to $25 for them on ebay since they’re only ~$5 in the UK. Darla had bought them for me! How nice was that?

There was more nice from Darla, who I met for lunch on Friday at Tico’s (local Mexican restaurant) since Layton had taken the day off. We had a lovely lunch where I ate too many gloppy nachos (so worth the calories though) and then she insisted on paying for having forgotten me on Monday. It wasn’t necessary but she wouldn’t let me pay. Despite my overfull stomach, the afternoon didn’t crawl and I was swimming and heading home for the long weekend in no time.

With rain due Saturday evening, I got busy first thing Saturday morning and did all my laundry and most of my chores. John came and mowed that afternoon so most of my to do’s for the weekend were out of the way. The first Huskers football game was scheduled for 7:00 and the whole state was crazy excited about the new coach, Scott Frost. I, of course, couldn’t care less but it was sad when the front with the monster storms came through right as the game started and after hours of pouring rain, they changed the delay to a cancel. I was happily streaming Netflix though so wasn’t bothered. I had plans for Monday but nothing on Sunday, which is usually my chore day, so went to bed Saturday night unsure of what I’d do Sunday.

So Sunday was a leisurely morning of watching TV and knitting in my jammies. When Lorri stopped by after church, it was nearly noon and I wasn’t dressed. But she invited me to tea at her house at 3:00 so I took a shower and made myself presentable. We had a lovely time catching up over tea and cookies then walked around her garden. My empty day was salvaged and I was ready for some fun on Labor Day. Gotta love a long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment