Thursday, June 21, 2018

Week 24 - A Sad Week

It was not a happy week. The things that I’d normally complain about (not sleeping well – check, starting the week off with 7:30 a.m. PT – check) were trivial. Alas.

I got a phone call right at bedtime Tuesday night that the grandbaby of one of our accountants had died that afternoon. She was less than 3 months old and at her second day of daycare. I could not imagine the devastation of her parents (she was their first child) and my co-worker. I was ready for bed when I got the call but couldn’t stop thinking about it and barely slept that night. So sad.

There was a pall over the office the next day and my energy level was rock bottom so I just stayed as busy as possible to get through the day. I drank copious amounts of caffeine on a nearly empty stomach (600 calorie day), which lead to a sour stomach. We were supposed to go out for dinner after water aerobics but I knew I’d never make it so asked if anyone would mind if we postponed until Thursday. That actually worked out better for most everyone (I hadn’t been the first to bail on Wednesday night) so I limped through swimming then happily went home to veg. I went to bed early and was able to sleep some better than the night before.

After a good swim Thursday night, we all went to Blue Blood Brewing. There were 9 of us and we had a ball, which I needed badly. I enjoyed beer, roasted Brussels sprouts and a small serving of loaded felony fries. Not diet food but worth every calorie. I didn’t get home until after 9:00 and by the time I watered containers and made some cranberry cole slaw, it was time for bed. I got a great night’s sleep, helped by the beer no doubt.

The office was getting together a meal for before the visitation and rosary on Friday night, hence the cole slaw making Thursday night. Lana organized it all and I volunteered to deliver the food on the way to PT. Friday went by in a blur and I left at 3:00 with my car loaded down with food. Another of the accountants met me to help with the delivery, which was difficult but easier than going to the rosary or funeral. It took several trips to bring in the copious amounts of food and then I visited for a few minutes before bugging out for PT. I was so glad to be done with the work week. I went to bed early, slept like a rocks and got up ready for my weekend.

I had a lovely Saturday morning, with a gloriously late start after sleeping until 8:15. I chatted with Carolyn and my sister Dottie, who rarely calls. I had planned to make cookies to take to spinning but time got away from me so I threw a pan of blondies in the oven, grabbed a quick PB&J and was at Andrea’s at 1:00 to head to spinning in Fremont. I hadn’t been in awhile so it was good to see everyone. I sat and knitted socks while they were all glued to a spinning video. The real fun started when we left.

Drae and I were helping a friend load her stuff so had her spinning wheel by her car. A man saw the wheel and pulled over to chat. He was cleaning out a nearby house after a woman had died and had a sewing room full of things that were a complete mystery to him. The rule was anything that would cost less than $5 at a garage sale was up for grabs but the rest had to be photographed and the pics emailed to the woman’s children out of state. We spent an hour of so going through the room, leaving it cleared out and organized. We each left with a big box of stuff. I should mention that the woman appeared to be a hoarder and in addition to sewing supplies, we found totes full of Y2K prepper food (threw that away) and old papers, prescriptions and such. Unfortunately the man had already thrown away most of the fabric. Bummer. But with our good deed of the day done, Andrea and I ran our errands in Fremont and then headed to Todd’s Bar for my favorite vanilla beer, burgers and tots. Gotta love tots, right? I went to bed as soon as I got home.

I rose early Sunday and had hopes of having a productive day. Alas, I struggled to get motivated and spent the lion’s share of the daylight hours knitting and streaming. I did manage to do laundry, pick up the kitchen and do a sink full of pots, pans and plastic but did little else. It had been a long week and I think I was just spent. It didn’t help that it was 100 degrees in the shade. Oh well. Cross that week off and hope for a better one next week, which is pretty much a sure thing. I went to bed grateful for all the goodness in my life, including a work family that sticks together through thick and thin. I really am a lucky person.



No comments:

Post a Comment