Monday, June 4, 2018

Week 22 - Finally Nice Weather

But not on Monday. Memorial Day was still hellishly hot but, you guessed it, I was outside gardening anyway.

I went out first thing to beat the heat and with my two must do's done already, I started on the berry beds, which were a mess. I weeded them then prepped the flower bed along the fence. When I was done with those, I started weeding the big perennial bed around the maple tree, which was in horrible shape. After being outside all morning, I gave up and headed inside for a shower, BK for lunch (yes, again!) and an afternoon of sitting and knitting while trying to cool down. Heidi had offered to host knitting at her house but no one had responded so I happily stayed home, inside and cool.

The heat broke on Tuesday with big thunderstorms. After work, I went to RBG at The Ross with Tammie. It was a very good movie and I had no idea how much of an impact Ruth Bader Ginsberg had had on sex discrimination law in the 70's. I got home at 8:00 to see that we'd had .6" of rain in Wahoo and with the heat and humidity gone, I couldn't resist going outside again. I finished weeding the big perennial bed at 9:00 - just as it was too dark to see. I went in and showered, happy with all my progress but ready for a few days off from gardening.

When I got to work Wednesday, I realized that my wallet wasn't in my book bag. It's very disconcerting not having money, ID and my Starbuck's card. Cindy fronted me some cash and we went thrifting at lunch (found nothing) but I had money to get an iced coffee from Dunkin' in the afternoon. I saw on a bench and knitted for a bit, thoroughly enjoying the perfect weather - low 80's, no humidity and a nice breeze. I swam after work and went home to sit on my butt. Thursday was a repeat except it was lunch with Dodie at Panera. I wasn't set on swimming that night so decided to let the parking gods decide. There were plenty of places so I swam, stopping on the way home to buy 10 bags of mulch. All good.

Gotta love a 4 day week! Layton and I went somewhere new for lunch - Nate's Cafe, which is a rework of Bethany Cafe. I had big plans for shopping after work but just couldn't cope with the traffic so headed home, stopping in Wahoo for a few necessities. The weekend was here already and I was thrilled, especially because the weather was still gorgeous.

Having a normal Saturday morning was lovely. I talked to Carolyn and then, knock me over with a feather - my sister Dottie called. After a lovely morning of talking and drinking coffee, I got dressed and headed out for library deposits. After hitting the library, bank and grocery store (I'd made lists for the local markets having skipped shopping in Lincoln on Friday), I popped into Andrea's store. She needed to go to Fremont so we made plans to leave late afternoon for errands and dinner in Fremont. She had seen something on Facebook about free fireworks at the Starlight Ballroom just outside Wahoo so we timed things to end there at 9:15.

I puttered around the garden for a couple of hours, showered and picked Drae up at 4:45 so she could go to confession in Mead on the way to Fremont, during which I happily read and knitted in the car. We drove to Staples, where the order that was the reason for the trip wasn't ready. We hit Goodwill (nothing) then went to Mac's Cafe for a comfort food meatloaf dinner. I'd always wanted to eat there and will again for sure. We then hit HyVee as our last stop before home. They were out of the ice cream cones I'd wanted but that was a good thing because they'd have melted for sure. Our friend Jan was sitting out on her deck when we drove by so we stopped to say hi. Jan used to knit with us but hasn't been coming since her husband died a year ago. It was great to catch up and then we convinced her to come with us to the fireworks, which I had been considering skipping but the timing worked perfectly so off we went.

There is a fireworks distribution company outside of Wahoo that has fireworks tents in 5 surrounding states. The fireworks event was to display all the new wares for their vendors so they announced the price of each one before they let it off and the people were taking notes all around us on provided lists. We were leaning on a truck from Iowa and the owners gave us the scoop of how it all worked, telling us the finale would be great. OMG! I've seen fireworks all over, including Disneyland, and they didn't hold a candle to this finale. It was amazing! I got home at 11:00, happy after a productive and fun day. 

I was pretty tired on Sunday and had another nice, normal morning of watching CBS Sunday Morning while having coffee then chatting with Ginny before starting chores. With so much time spent outside over the past week, the inside of my house was a train wreck. I got the kitchen picked up then started cleaning. I did go out to putter in the garden some more after lunch but mostly I worked inside, ending the night making a strawberry/rhubarb pie for knitting, rhubarb compote (I burned the first batch so made a second because I have plenty of rhubarb) and an antipasto macaroni salad for Tuesday's food day. I didn't do any cooking for the week but can eat out of the freezer until I make some food.

So all in all, it was a lovely week. It's amazing how nice weather can make everything better. My yard is looking better than it has in years and I have high hopes that I can keep up with maintenance this year. I still have a few more plants to get in the ground and I never touched the bags of mulch but there's still time. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment