Monday, January 8, 2018

Weeks 41-52 Catch Up Post

Well, it’s been awhile since I posted but I’m clearly not ready to give up on my blog so I’m doing a quick catch up to finish out 2017 and will start fresh for 2018. It’s absolutely ridiculous that I got so far behind, especially because I had all the time in the world to blog but that’s life.

My last post was right before my trip to Ireland. Needless to say, I had a fantastic trip. Here's a link to pictures in case you're interested. The 6 day tour was great but the icing on the cake was spending the final weekend with Francoise and Bridget in Northern Ireland. I would travel with them again anytime! We got along famously and spent our days leisurely exploring in our rental car, taking turns on a whim based on brown (tourist attractions) and gold (galleries and craft places) and having a wonderful time. Anne and I flew back on a Tuesday and I was back at work on Wednesday because I only had 5 working days before my surgery.

My knee replacement went really well and I was back home the next day. My sister was there to help me out for the first week and after that I was on my own. Other than driving myself to PT (just 5 blocks from my house) and an occasional trip to the library or local supermarket, I barely left the house until Black Friday. I drove to Omaha as a trial of my 30 minute commute to work, which I thought I’d go back to part-time after Thanksgiving. Yeah, that didn’t happen. My knee swelled so ridiculously after my brief foray to the yarn shop in Omaha that I was down for another week. Then when I was supposed to teach classes the first week in December, Nora and Cindy informed me that they’d rescheduled them all to the following week so I didn’t start back part-time until December 12th. I wasn’t even full-time by Christmas. Oh well. Best laid plans and all. I do work with the best people, btw.

I didn’t let my knee stop me from my Christmas trip back to Rhode Island. I took my cane with me just in case (I hadn’t been using it for weeks) and was one of the first people on the plane in both directions. The trip was fun as always but low key all around with every celebration being small and intimate. I flew home the Wednesday after Christmas but was miserably uncomfortable on the 2nd flight and got home at 1:00 a.m. after a delay with my leg swollen down to my ankle. I was supposed to see the surgeon the next morning but woke up with such a bad headache (and I rarely get them – not even once/year) that I threw up. So I rescheduled the appointment and went back to bed. Bitter cold weather set in so I was back to not leaving the house except for PT on Friday. By Saturday the swelling was down but I didn’t push it, staying inside for the rest of 2017.


So as you can see, I had all the time in the world to blog when I was home for weeks on end after surgery. I just didn’t do it. Call this good and 2018 is a new year. All good.

No comments:

Post a Comment