Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Week 3 - Rockin' Plan B

What’s not to like about a week that starts with a Monday holiday? Nothing except that it’s the last one for a LONG time. I couldn’t tell you what I did on MLK Day but I’d bet there was lots of sitting and knitting in the sun followed by Monday Night Knitting at the library. I may have made a pot of chicken soup somewhere in there. Whatever I did, I’m sure I enjoyed the day off.

Tuesday was an early start with breakfast for Cindy’s birthday with the work gang at Cook’s Café. I happily ate sausage (best in town) and a peanut butter pancake. Even on a 1200 day that blew my calories before work but it was worth it.

Wednesday was cleaning lady day and I spent quite a chunk of time trying to find the perfect wording for a note about the floors, which have been a constant source of frustration for both of us. Laminate floors are a bear to clean and if any non-laminate cleaner is used, it creates a gummy gunge on the surface that you actually stick to as you walk. This had not sunk in no matter how many times I discussed it with her and she was spending WAY too much time on the floor because she was using the wrong cleaners and so was creating a problem that she was then frustrated trying to clean. Having spent hours scrubbing the gunge after her last clean, I was determined to get through to her. I even had a picture of the gunge covered Swiffer cover from when I had cleaned. I had 2 people edit my note to remove any vestiges of snark and left if on Wednesday morning in hopes that I’d come home to a clean floor. Of course she messaged me saying her husband was sick and she’d be coming Thursday, which gave me another day of worry. The good news is that I did come home to a much cleaner floor and a note from her saying she’d keep doing it that way, which was MUCH less labor intensive too. Alas, my purchase of Lime Away did nothing to improve the bathroom cleaning but I live in hope.

Thursday night was dinner out at Piedmont Bistro for Rene’s birthday. Anne, Rene and I had a wonderful meal, complete with a huge piece of chocolate cake that they brought with 3 forks without us even ordering it. Yum! Another food even to tank my 1200 calorie week but, again, it was worth it. And it was not my last food obligation for the week because I was heading to Sioux Falls on Saturday to hang with Connie.

That was the plan at least. Connie was there for business that finished late Friday so I was driving up Saturday morning to play with Connie all day and then we’d both drive home on Sunday. Until we saw the weather forecast. There was a storm coming that was forecast to snow all across South Dakota all day on Sunday. When I mentioned it to Connie on Friday, she realized she would need to drive home on Saturday so we cancelled. While I’d miss seeing Connie, I was happy to have a free weekend to stay inside and cozy if it was going to now.

Yeah right! When Andrea found out I wasn’t out of town, she asked if I was going to go to spinning, which was totally off my radar because I had planned on not being able to go. Of course I said I’d go and we planned to go to The Post afterwards since it was playing at 4:00 in Fremont and I had wanted to see it with Connie. Plan B works.

It was so gorgeous out on Saturday morning that I spent some time outside changing out Christmas decorations and doing some general neatizing of the yard. I didn’t finish it but any time spent outside in January is a bonus. I ran to Dollar General to pick up some totes and then met Andrea at her shop. She’d called me earlier so say we needed to “stop at the auction” in Fremont, which meant we’d be going to the auction instead of spinning, which worked for me. I can sit and knit anywhere. I was good and only spent $3, leaving with a fun new plant stand and an orange bowl. Andrea didn’t get the spinning wheel she wanted but did get an industrial swift for a total deal so it was worth it. We went from there to the movie, which was excellent, then stopped at HyVee before heading to Todd’s in Cedar Bluffs for a burger and tots with beer. Yum! All in all, it was a satisfying Plan B day.


Sunday was a regular chore day, which always includes a leisurely morning of TV and knitting in the sun. My back room is a job in the winter when the sun is out so after my recharge morning absorbing sun, I can plow into the usual laundry, dishes and cooking. All good. Except for the blizzard forecast for Monday. I went to be doubtful that UNL would close despite most of eastern Nebraska having cancelled Sunday night. I’d be staying home most likely so the only question was whether I’d be using vacation time or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment