Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Week 2 - Normal Life Returns!

You have never seen anyone so excited for a Monday. But this Monday was the beginning of my return to normal and I couldn’t have been happier to start my week.

I was so excited to get back into the pool that I was skipping knitting to swim – something I never do. But I’d just had the knitters’ tea the day before so it was well worth it. I jumped in the deep end and it was like a baptism to start life with my new knee. I was careful with which moves I did but regardless, it felt great to be back in the pool. Even getting out, which had been my main concern, wasn’t too hard and I managed on my own but with Rene spotting me from behind. Happy happy.

I did wake up to a swollen leg – not just my knee but all the way to my ankle. It was well worth it as far as I was concerned and when I went to my LAST PT on Tuesday afternoon, they didn’t seem worried about it either. That last session was pretty useless and I danced out of there after thanking them for helping me all year. Between my shoulder and knee, I’d spent 6 months there and they really are wonderful. But with that last PT session done, I was truly approaching normal. Sort of.

I swam Wednesday night and had no swelling. Progress! But then I was faced with Thursday. Despite it being in the high 50’s after work, a storm was predicted that would start with rain late Wednesday night, which would them freeze and be covered with snow. Many schools had already cancelled but I wasn’t taking any chances on UNL, which is miserly in awarding snow days, so had told Nora I’d be taking a vacation day. I had more vacation time in my bank than I’d ever had so it was worth it so I wouldn’t have to chance falling. But nothing in my life is easy. Of course my cat’s mouth was stuck open and she was freaked and so wouldn’t come in despite me trying just about everything. I had no choice but to go to bed at 10:00 even as the temperature was plummeting. Needless to say, I was up several times during the night trying to get her in without success. At 2:00 a.m., I saw no trace of rain and it was already snowing. Hmmm....

I woke up on Thursday to wind and blowing snow but very little actual accumulation. I still happily stayed inside, knitting and streaming. Only when I watched my neighbor walk across her driveway like it was nothing did I suspect that there was no ice under the dusting of snow. I decided to try it but took no chances, putting on crampons to go to the mailbox. Yup, no ice at all so it never did rain in Wahoo. I was still happy to have taken the day off. I was even happier when Pie finally came into the house. She had been out all night in the storm and came back late morning with her fur covered with snow, her mouth still wide open and dead leaves frozen into the drool on her chest. She wouldn't let me near her but at least she was inside and warm. 

I was determined to be somewhat productive with my bonus day off so went through all the shoes in my house, ending with a big bag to donate and a couple to go to the cobbler. Then I sat down to prep the year end treasurer's report for my Friends of the Library meeting, which lead to doing the long overdue update to the membership list. I had no luck with Pie but All in all, it was still a good day.

When I got up, Pie ran to the back door and I was able to grab her and easily got her mouth shut. I opened a can of wet food and mixed half of it with water, which she gobbled down and then ran downstairs. I left for work knowing she'd be good as new by the time I got home. I had a nice catch up lunch with Layton and grabbed a few groceries at HyVee afterwards so I could head right home after swimming. It was a 3 day weekend so nothing wrong with that. I had the Friends meeting first thing in the morning, which got me up and out. Afterwards, Lorri, Glenda and I went out for coffee. After a quick stop home, I headed to Nancy Meyer's for tea and catching up. It was a lovely day and I ended it with Guinness, tuna nachos and a new British series - The Detectorists. LOVE it! You should check it out on either Prime or Netflix.

There was a lecture at the library on Sunday that I was interested in going to but I completely spaced, not remembering about it until the next morning. It was bitter cold so staying inside wasn't all bad. Sunday was just my regular chore day but even that felt good. My knee was doing fine and other than my fear of walking on ice, I just ignored it and did whatever. Normal, see? And Monday was a day off so more good to add to an already fabulous week. Here's my happy laundry picture to end the week with - pair after pair of handmade socks drying in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment