Monday, September 16, 2013

Week 37 - Back on Track

After hitting the publish button on last week’s post, I only had to call the cats in and crawl into bed for the week to be done. But when Pie came in, I knew something was seriously wrong. Her mouth was open as wide as it could be and she couldn’t shut it. She also couldn’t swallow eat or drink and I had no idea how long she’d been that way because she’d been out all day. Well, there isn’t much you can do at 9:45 on a Sunday night in Wahoo. After calling both vets and getting no response and no offer of an emergency number, I googled around a bit and found nothing. All I could do was go to bed. Needless to say, I didn’t sleep much but Pie actually purred when she jumped onto my bed, which she did several times during the night. Poor kitty.

I had emailed that I’d be in late so I could drop her at the vet at 8:00 but I the doc was already there at 7:15 so I dropped her off and was at work on time. Their plan was to sedate her and see if they could unlock her jaw. I called a few times during the day but didn’t get through until the end of the day. Her jaw had closed on its own once they sedated her and they had no clue what caused it. There is a rare degenerative muscular thing but they didn’t know if that was it. Let’s hope not. They’d given her a slow acting cortisone injection and wanted to keep her overnight since she was still half out. But I drove by the vet on the way home and they were still open so I stopped and they let me take her. She was a total noodle so I shut her in the bathroom and went to knitting. Her back legs weren’t working well but she scooted out when I got home and ran downstairs to use the box. I put a sweater on the floor and put out water for her and sat with her until she fell asleep downstairs. She was almost back to normal Tuesday morning, which was a big relief. I also slept better, which I desperately needed.

After a start like this, the rest of the week was a breeze. I swam on Tuesday with a new instructor, who is pretty bad. I couldn’t hear her nor figure out what she was doing so mostly did my own thing and chatted with Natasha. Somehow I still managed to pull a muscle in my arm, which I aggravated again in the pool on Thursday. It actually made it hard to get to sleep because I couldn’t get comfortable. Sheesh!

The weather broke on Wednesday. A big storm ushered in actual fall weather so I made sure to bring my knitting to work so I could take breaks to get outside and enjoy it. I love fall and couldn’t be happier that the blazing heat is gone.

I had no plans for the weekend and was thrilled to be staying home. I had a big to do list – cleaning and cooking mostly – and was excited to get my life back on track. I made my lists and got busy, interspersing chores with knitting throughout the weekend. On Sunday, Donna came over for help with her knitting and we had tea and chatted, which was a nice break. By the end of the day, the house was in much better shape, the frig was full of food and my swap package was addressed and waiting by the door. What a difference a week makes! I went to bed without any drama, ready to face a new week. Life is good. By the way, Pie seems fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment