Monday, April 8, 2013

Week 14 - Poppin' Some Tags


This week went by in a blur but at least I managed to get some things done. Just 3.5 weeks until Ireland. Yikes!

Monday was monthly reports day and we did it in record time. I was done by the end of the day, which I’ve never been able to do before. I ran some errands after work but only half what I’d planned because I was just exhausted having not slept well Sunday night. Then it was on to knitting, which is always fun.

On Tuesday I was able to join the Off the Beaten Path Lunch Club – a group of foodies from Arts & Sciences who go to lunch once a month at a local, non-chain restaurant. We went to Honest Abe’s, a new burger place way across town, and I got their Reading Rainbow special. It was way out of my comfort zone but part of the price was donated to The Food Bank, which is my charity of choice these days. Get a load of this burger topping – crunchy peanut butter, roasted grapes, bacon and shredded cabbage. Delicious! Despite being late, I swam Tuesday, partly to burn off that burger lunch.

I test drove a pair of pants that have potential for Ireland on Wednesday and they worked fine and were approved by Darla when we had lunch at the dorms. I finished my errands after work on Wednesday, stopping last at Yarn Charm to show them my gradient dyed socks. I bought, you guessed it, more sock yarn and left in a rush when I saw I’d be missing the start of Survivor.

One of my pre-trip to do’s was to schedule the floor guy to refinish my hardwoods while I’m gone. I left him voice mail when I got home from swimming on Thursday and he came over Friday after work. It’s all set! He’s going to move my furniture to the back of the house (I need to move all the surface stuff myself though so time to get busy on that), refinish the floors then move it all back. All for $1100, which I think is a deal for three rooms. I’m pretty excited.

Before I cooked breakfast on Saturday, Darla and I walked over to the next block to see the floors he was redoing in an empty house. They were gorgeous and I got to see the color they’d be after refinishing. I can’t wait to see mine done.  Anyway, Darla and I had French toast and bacon then started slogging through the under the bed boxes in the spare room. We both got hot and sweaty from trying things on. Darla had a big bag of clothes to take home and most of the rest we packed up for Goodwill. But the best part is that I found 2 pair of jeans that fit great and will work for Ireland. Since I’d been stressing about what pants to pack (everything has to work for multiple wearings since the trip is so long), this was a fabulous find.

We loaded up the car with the Goodwill bags and headed to the Senior Center thrift store. It was slim pickings though so we only got one bag and headed to Omaha. We made up for it there, hitting four Goodwills and getting stuff at each one. I scored lots of sweaters for 99 cents each - to wear, felt, harvest for yarn and share. Yay! I called Carolyn when I got home after 5:00 and vegged for the rest of the evening. It was a fun and productive day.

Not so much Sunday. I did many loads of laundry, including all the sweaters I’d collected, and did some cooking but lost steam mid-afternoon. When I casted on a new pair of socks, the rest of the day was toast. I sat on my butt and knitted for hours. I should have started to clear the stuff in the spare room, especially with only 3 more weekends before I leave. Oh well. At least I had my neighbor tell Billy that I wanted to hire him for yard work so he’ll come over to start that end of things. So much to do in spring, even without being gone for 17 days in early May. It’ll all get done. It always does. Time to make some lists.
P.S. If you're wondering about my title this week, check this out. Darla and I consider this our theme song. Beware. It's got language and a really cathy tune. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment