Monday, April 25, 2011

Week 17 - My Disgusting Easter

This week started out with a leisurely pace, which was good because I needed it for the end.

The early week was uneventful – knitting on Monday night and a dentist appointment on Wednesday morning were the highlights. Boring! The dentist did offer to completely redo the crown on my hell tooth free of charge. I was so taken aback I didn’t immediately agree. Since I have to clean out around it every time I eat and it’s still sensitive, I’m going to be taking him up on his offer and just need to figure out the best timing for my schedule.

By Thursday, things were stacking up. I was swimming for the first time this week, stopping at a co-workers to give her landscaping ideas and food shopping before heading home. Everything took longer than I’d planned, even swimming, so I got to HyVee too late for the steak dinner and then had to do two loads of shopping. Andrea had emailed me earlier in the day to ask which HyVee was closest to Wahoo and figuring she wanted a couple of pounds of the butter that was on sale Thursday only, I said I was going anyway and asked what she needed. Before you know it, she had emailed me the shopping list for her Easter dinner! Two legs of lamb, a turkey, veggies and BUTTER. By the time I did her shopping and then mine and stopped to drop off her food, I didn’t get home until almost 9:00, when I ate a bowl of cheerios and fell into bed because Friday was going to be a long day.

Spring Affair was Friday after work and I LOVE volunteering there. It really is my favorite thing to do – helping people find plants and, strangely, I love neatening the plants after the sale. There’s something very satisfying about filling in all the gaps and ending up with a perfect flat. It harkens back to a peg game I was obsessed with during kindergarten play time. But I digress…. I met Lorri at the pre-sale at 4:00, where I was oddly unmotivated to buy plants. I think I’m finally growing up! I have plants I need to move and was thinking of those as I shopped, only spending $2 more than the $10 in free plants that I got for volunteering. From there Lorri and I went to HyVee for an early supper then back for our shift at 5:30. I spent 3.5 hours on my feet with lots of bending to fill those flats. When we left at 9:00, I was exhausted and achy. I could not fathom going back the next day for the education sessions and that was before I struggled to fall asleep because I couldn’t get comfortable in bed. I finally got up and took another meloxicam and fell asleep after midnight.

I woke up feeling better than I’d thought I would – tired but my knee was fine. But I knew I wouldn’t be very productive so when Lorri called, instead of making excuses and staying home, I agreed to go for all three sessions. I grabbed some knitting and we headed out at 9:45. It was a pleasant day of sitting in sessions knitting while watching slides of plants. What’s not to like? We grabbed a hotdog and shopped at the vendors between sessions (I only bought 2 more plants) and left at 3:30 with 3 hours of CE’s under our belts. It was cold and dreary so I spent the rest of the day sitting and knitting, knowing I’d have lots to do on Sunday.

I planned on my normal Easter – cooking a good meal (I had thawed a turkey breast) and working outside. I slept late and should have known when I wasn’t hungry at breakfast time that something was amiss. I had planned to have a big breakfast and then have the turkey mid afternoon but ended up eating a small bowl of granola after 9:00 and wasting away the morning on the phone. I finally got dressed and busy just before noon. I put in a load of laundry and sat down to make a chore list and get organized. But when I went downstairs to put in the second load, I was faced with a flooded floor in the laundry room. I knew I’d been on borrowed time with my drain since Ed fixed it out a couple of months ago but why did my main line have to pick Easter Sunday to completely clog? Adding to the problem, I had 2 big bags of kitty litter that were in the puddle and when I picked the first one up, the bag let go so I had a pile of litter in the muck. Not being able to use the water was going to put a huge cramp in my style!

I called Roto Rooter, deciding it was better to pay now and get it taken care of. It was only laundry water but it was backed up from the sewer and smelled BAD. Luckily Roto Rooter works every day and there was no extra charge for it being Sunday or Easter but I would have to pay $59 for them to drive to Wahoo. Sheesh! He got here mid-afternoon and cleared out the clog. But my bottom basement step being on bricks instead of attached to the staircase meant he couldn’t get the machine up the stairs (it weighs 350 pounds) so had to ask my neighbor’s Easter guests to help him. When he left after 4:00, I had a ton of clean up to do. The kitty litter was now soggy and I had to keep it from going down the floor drain so I scooped it into a bag, squeegeed the floor and then got out the mop and cleaner. I wasn’t done until 6:00, at which point I was exhausted and still had the turkey to cook. So I made the stuffing and got it into the oven by 6:30. I had a bowl of Cocoa Krispis while I waited for the dehumidifier to work in the laundry room then went down and did more laundry. When the turkey was done at 9:30, I ate a few slices and shared some with the cats before throwing it in the frig and going to bed. What a day! I still need to do another mopping of the floor but hopefully my drain problems are over. How was your Easter? Hopefully full of egg hunts, family and fun. Maybe I’ll aim for that next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment