Monday, November 1, 2010

Week 44 - Farewell to Rebar

The week was beginning with a long travel day so, of course, I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and couldn’t fall back asleep. Luckily Debbie got up an hour later so we enjoyed some quiet time in the kitchen over coffee. It was a whirlwind while everyone was getting ready for work but then the house cleared out and we started packing and getting ready for our trip to the yarn shop.

That was when the phone rang. I saw it was Lorri and my stomach dropped. She was calling to say that Rebar had died. She had been to the vet a couple of weeks ago and was diagnosed with a kidney infection and I had thought she was on the mend. Lorri explained that she had been going twice a day to run the sink for Rebar to drink (Rebar was my dinged water kitty and loved everything about water) but saw that she was failing. When she didn’t meet her at the sink on Monday morning, she searched the house and found her dead under my bed. I burst into tears and started the inevitable beating myself up. Had I known she was so sick, I would have boarded her. She also died alone. It was not a pretty day.

I cried on and off all morning and then had to control myself since I was flying. It got easier as the day went on. There was wind in Denver so our flight was delayed leaving Orange County, which made for a tight layover. We power walked to our 2nd flight and made it home on time. I walked into my house at 11:45 p.m. and collapsed into bed.

I got up Tuesday and had to bury Rebar before heading to work. It was going to be a frantic week but that was probably a good thing. The state auditors were at work and there would be no telling what data I’d have to pull for them. And then there was the book sale. I made it through the work week just fine but spent every night at the library. Tuesday I was there until the library closed but Wednesday I was home by 7:30. Thursday was the preview sale but there were so many workers that I was able to do some shopping and leave by 7:20. Friday night was my first free night, only because the library closes at 5:30 on Fridays. I went food shopping and ate real food for dinner. Just one more day.

I was at the library again Saturday morning so I could deposit the cash before the bank closed then headed back to break down the sale. Because the library was a polling place, we had to have the room cleared by 3:00 Saturday. We had 4 diversion kids (kids sentenced to do community service) and 3 of us sorting and packing books. With the boys to do the heavy lifting, we were done shortly after 2:00. The book store is stacked to the gills with boxes but the room was clear and I was home enjoying Burger King by 2:30. And the best part is, we finally broke the $2,000 mark. Yay!

I spent the rest of the weekend fighting the urge to sit. I managed to do the laundry and some cooking plus did my last 5 hours of master gardener continuing ed online. I also got all my plants repotted and ready to pull inside before the first hard frost, which will come later this week. The day ended with trick or treaters. I turned my light off at 8:45 with 5 pieces of candy left in the bowl. I guess 6 bags is the magic number. I’m looking forward to a quiet November. I want to get back into the pool, keep up the healthy eating and start getting ready for the holidays, which are right around the corner. Sheesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment