Saturday, August 31, 2024

Week 34 - Home to Retirement

I just had one more day in Rhode Island before I'd fly home on Tuesday and much as I love hanging with Carolyn, I was definitely ready to go home. Monday was day 12 of being gone, which is a long time to be away.

Janice had tipped me off that I could get my favorite lemon filled chocolate covered donut, which Dunkin' no longer makes, at Market Basket so when Carolyn had to take her car into Kia for service, I asked to go along because it was near the market. I grabbed the donut (delish and cheap), we dropped Matt back home and then headed to one of Carolyn's schools. She had been there for years but not last year so she wanted to redo bulletin boards, which is easier with 2 people. I helped with that and then alphabetized the book order that had been delivered so she could check them in. She was under the weather so we didn't stay long, heading back home. I'd bought enough at Job Lot that I'd be checking my carry on too so needed to repack. We finished the movie Snow Cake, which we'd started the night before and just like that, the day was done.

Carolyn made me eggs Tuesday morning and I packed a lunch and snacks for the day before we headed to the airport at 10:30. I have TSA pre-check now so sailed right through and knitted at the gate. The flights were completely uneventful but when I got to my car, I couldn't find my parking stub, even digging through my suitcase to check the pants I was wearing the day I parked. I caused a back up at the booth while they checked video for when I drove in and I was glad I didn't have to pay some fine or other. After a stop at Aldi to restock groceries, I was home. The cats were happy to see me and after popping a frozen pizza in the oven, I unpacked. The house was hot enough that I needed to shut the windows and turn on the AC even though it would be cool overnight. It felt great to sleep in my own bed.

I spent all day Wednesday putting things away and doing load after load of laundry between the linens (you have to bring your own sheets when you rent a beach house and I'd brought for John too) and 2 weeks of clothes. On Thursday, I went to the optician to order glasses (I had planned to go in January but hadn't and I'd scratched one of my lenses in RI), ran errands in town and after lunch, during which I watched my favorite knitting podcast, I took my 2 old cats to the vet. They both had snot noses so got antibiotic and steroid shots and I'd be giving them pink antibiotic liquid for the next week or so. With all that crossed off, I made a cup of tea and read an actual book (as opposed to on my ipad) in the backyard. That was actually on my retirement to do list so I was starting to feel sort of retirementy.

On Friday, my boss was throwing me a retirement party with just my immediate work group of accountants and the data team. After a nice morning chatting with friends, I cut some sunflowers down, took a shower and headed to Seward. It's a town near Lacey's house that has a consignment store I wanted to check out for possibly consigning some of my work clothes and a fun thrift shop that I always enjoy. I found all kinds of goodies then headed to Lacey's.


It was a wonderful party. Lacey had made a taco/nacho bar and there were lemon cupcakes for dessert. They had decorated with a big poster of all the Rosie posts - the skeleton they photographed everywhere and posted on Facebook back when I had my shoulder surgery. They had all pitched in and gave me a birdfeeder with a camera that sends pics to your phone of all the birds that eat there. Lacey had told me about hers and I'd said it was cool so she filed that thought away. And apparently I spent a team meeting going on and on about getting a weed whacker when I retired (I have no recollection of this) so Dana bought me a cordless one. She is originally from Jordan so had no idea what they were so had to ask at Walmart, which I found funny. We all had a nice time and ended the night on Lacey's patio watching sunset. I do love the people I work(ed) with.

The heat set in so I happily stayed inside all weekend. I had started going through something every day so kept that up by going through most of my hutch. Otherwise I did minimal chores and caught up on online things - Ravelry, YouTube, etc. It felt like a regular old weekend so not like retirement and I had to work 3 days in the next week. I'm betting on September to bring retirement vibes. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment