Sunday, August 25, 2024

Week 31 - The County Fair

It was another week of bad weather - blazing heat and a big storm. I ended the week with a stomach bug so all in all, not a great week.


It was the week of the county fair so I dropped my entries - 5 pairs of socks and a project bag - off before knitting on Monday. I ran to check my ribbons after work on Tuesday and got all blues on my socks and a red on my project bag. I didn't get best of lot because my friend Heidi's colorwork mittens won best of lot AND best of county. They were gorgeous so it was well deserved. Other than running through the quilt building, which is air conditioned, on Tuesday night, I didn't go back until Sunday when I picked up my entries. There was not a single comment on any of the projects so I'll never know why my bag got a red. Lame judging. This isn't a great picture but here are a couple of my beribboned socks.



Because it was fiscal year end, we got a pass on working in the office on Wednesday. That was a blessing because I had to teach Dana the big spreadsheet and that was much easier via zoom. It ended up being a good thing that we were all home because a huge storm came through right at 5:00 and branches and entire trees were down all over campus, one of which was right in front of Canfield Admin. It was bad in Lincoln and Omaha but not too bad in Wahoo. Tens of thousands of people in Omaha were without electricity for days and it was blazing hot. Dodged a bullet there.


I had rescheduled my Wednesday lunch with Dodie to Thursday because I was driving in for swimming so went into the office for the day. Lana was one of the only others in so we went to Starbuck's for one of our last coffee runs (this was my last full week of work, after all). After a nice lunch at Bison Witches with Dodie, I spent the afternoon clearing out my cubie. I emptied all the overheads and drawers except one and took some of the stuff off surfaces but it still looked lived in when I left. I swam for the last time of the summer at the Irvingdale pool and drove through McDonald's for an ice cream to eat on the way home.


I woke up in the wee hours with intestinal issues. I took immodium and went back to bed but felt like absolute crap Friday morning. It was the last day of fiscal year 2024 so I had to work that morning but once I was done with what had to be done, I sat like a zombie in my chair and watched House of the Dragons all afternoon. I ate some toast and tea and waited for bedtime because I knew I'd wake up feeling fine on Saturday.


And I did. Having started House of the Dragons, I spent the rest of the weekend knitting and streaming between chores. It was still blazing hot so I was content with staying inside. Fiscal year end was over and Dana had done great learning all the things. It was my last full week of work too before retirement and heading to Rhode Island. Counting the days....

No comments:

Post a Comment