Saturday, November 18, 2023

Week 43 - First Hard Freeze

It was indeed a much better work week - darn good thing! On the home front, we were getting our first freeze of the season, which is later than normal and going to be a hard free but we started the week in the 80's. Freaky weather but good for getting the kittens acclimated to going outside and the warm weather coincided with my WFH (working from home) days.

Work was much better. It was a training week but both of my classes were small, both in the number of people signed up and the even fewer people who actually showed up. I had lots of data prep to keep me busy ahead of a 4 hour working zoom with the F&A consultant on Thursday. My 2nd campus day was Friday because it was the service awards lunch and I was getting my 25 year award - an insulated coffee mug chosen because it's useful and would last.

The freeze, which was coming overnight on Friday, meant that I had things to do. Since Friday's weather was cold and windy, I got busy on Thursday over lunch and after work. I had to bring in all the plants I'd be overwintering and pick the squash and any last produce from my garden. I just put the plants anywhere then headed next door to pick the squash in my neighbor's yard because my vines had jumped the fence. They were enormous and so heavy that I had to lift each one over the fence and drop it on my side. When I was back on my side and moving the squash inside, one was so big and awkward that I dropped it and it split. What to do?

My friend Cindy was coming to Wahoo to pick apples and I'd declined to help her when she asked. But I knew that Cindy would cook the broken squash rather than waste food so I headed her way. She had already picked a bunch but I joined her and between the 2 of us, we filled all her boxes, stopping only when it got too dark to see. We then went out for burritos at the other Mexican restaurant in town, which is smaller and not as gussied up but, come to find out, has WAY better food. Plus the portions were so big that I took half of mine home for another meal. All that for <$10. I know where I'll be going for Mexican food from now on. What a nice night considering I'd originally opted out of the apple picking. And my broken squash found a good home too. : )                                         


Service awards coincides with the all university picnic but that has degenerated barely more than a bag lunch - a pulled pork sandwich with a bag of chips and a bagged cookie. Gas station food. But we had fun with the photo booth (I do work with the best people!) and before you know it it was time to head home, stopping for groceries on the way home. I was ready for the weekend.

After a nice chat with Carolyn Saturday morning followed by some knitting in the sun that beams through my slider, I decided after lunch to do the dreaded STOP class so my speeding ticket wouldn't be on my record. It said it took 4 hours but I started at 12:45 and didn't finish until after 6:30. I took the bare minimum of breaks so the 4 hours was a definite lie. And if you haven't had the pleasure of taking an online STOP class, it requires constant screen interaction so there's no walking away. There's also a test at the end and if you don't get 80%, you have to do the whole class over. I paid attention and got it done. That's one dead Saturday.

As for Sunday, since I'd only brought the plants in but hadn't situated them, I brought in the baker's rack and spent some time getting the plants in their winter spots. I also did some cleaning and cooking and had some wine with supper. I tried to watch Hocus Pocus because I'd never seen it and felt like I was missing something. Nope. It must be a nostalgia thing for people who saw it as a child because I barely got through an hour and called it good, happily switching to PBS for the rest of the night. I'll find some way to cope with the loss. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment