Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Week 14 - Ignoring Dog Attack

Well, it was a good week with finally some spring weather and that's what I'm focusing on. Friday night was an abberation.

It was a busy week at work with monthly reports on Monday and training on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons. We had a welcome back breakfast on Wednesday and even having to go in a second day, which was Friday for me, wasn't too bad. There were only 4 of us in the office but I had a nice lunch with Darla (spring rolls at Pho Factory) and we got out early for Good Friday. Nice.

The weather finally cooperated and we had sunshine and spring temps. I couldn't stay inside so found myself raking a veg bed at lunch on Tuesday and going out just to do one bed after work on Thursday only to find myself outside long enough to rake out 3 beds, coming inside for supper and the first Backyard Farmer. 

My evenings were full too. I had knitting on Monday, of course, a Ripples zoom Tuesday night, grocery shopping after work on Wednesday and then yard work on Thursday. Then there was Friday.

I had made plans with Anne for pizza after work on Friday but when we got out of work early, I called to say I had a couple of errands to run but would be there early. We'd have to order the pizza later and go out for it, which worked because I wanted to hit the pop up garden center for panseys and Aldi for more of the yummy shrimp and scallops in champagne cream sauce. When I got to her house, I opened the door and said "I'm here" and stepped into kitchen. Now she had warned me that she was dog sitting for her sister's dog but I didn't think anything of it. Until the dog attacked me. 

I was pinned between the door and the counter and he was vicious. If I hadn't been wearing jeans, he would have hit bone when he bit my knee but the pants protected me. Anne dragged him off and I went into the bathroom. I could see teeth marks and the bruising was already starting but no broken skin. At least there was that. I tried to sit and knit to calm down but when I reached down to adjust my sock, the dog went nuts in his cage. I was outa there. I did stop at Aldi then went home for beer and snack supper. That dog needs to be put down!

My knee was no worse in the morning and only sore if I touched it so I put it aside and had a lovely weekend. The weather was gorgeous and I just kept going outside. My goal for the entire weekend was to finish raking my beds but after going out 3 times on Saturday, I was done with the beds and had made a run to the city burn pile. My intention was to stay inside on Sunday and do chores but I found myself outside clearing the brush pile by the garage where I'd had the trees taken out. After another run to the burn pile, I finally went inside for a cup of tea and made some comfort food for supper. That's a perfect Easter in my book - working outside communing with nature.


So setting the dog attack aside, it was a wonderful week. It felt great to be working outside and have made big progress early. I have high hopes for my gardens this year with the trees that shaded my veg beds too much gone. I have seeds popping up in my DQ sundae container greenhouses and my overwintered geraniums are happily blooming. Life is good! Happy spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment