Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Week 6 - Sad Yarn Story

The week started well but by Friday I was in tears. And all over yarn.

I was presenting at the business users group so spent Monday prepping for that, presented Tuesday morning and then spent Tuesday afternoon answering emails from users on what I presented. Then it was Wednesday on campus but I was all alone because Brook was out with his bum knee and Cindy was still in Arkansas. I made a point of asking my boss why I was in sitting all alone and I think he got my point. Regardless, work was uneventful, which was the best part of the week.

Back in October, I had dropped a fleece at The Fiber Mill in Stromsburg to be spun into sock yarn. This was a fleece I'd been gifted by a programmer I used to work with and I'd had it in my basement for years. I was super excited to pick it up and had scheduled that for Saturday with Anne and Rene as yet another birthday celebration, which had been delayed a week when the mill had some issues. I had emailed the owner to get the final amount owed and she got back to me Friday morning with an amount and said, as if it was no biggie, that she'd forgotten to mix in the nylon. I  immediately saw red because without nylon, it's useless for socks and what do I knit 95% of the time? Socks. From incredulous to mad to sad and then the tears started. 

She offered to replace it with some of her yarn with nylon but I had an emotional attachment to this fleece and had invested not only money but time cleaning it before I dropped it off. I told her I didn't want her yarn because I have plenty of yarn. I wanted that yarn. I told her I'd get back to her and spent the morning in tears. Clearly we would not be going on our mini road trip to pick it up either so that screwed up my Saturday.

I stopped crying before my space survey meeting after lunch and at 2:30 I left to pick up Andrea for our monthly Fremont run. It was the Estate Dispersal Store weekend but we also did all our usual stops too. Andrea was taking me out for supper for my birthday (would the celebrating ever end?) and blew me away when she said she'd already eaten meat "by mistake" so was OK with burgers, tots and beer at Todd's in Cedar Bluffs. It was a nice end to a trying day.

So with the Stromsburg trip not happening, we'd rescheduled to dinner and a movie in front of the fire at Anne's Saturday night. With my morning free, I spent it talking to friends and knitting in the sun. I was still in my nightie at 3:00 so showered, got dressed and headed to Lincoln. I'd requested BBQ from Texas Roadhouse so Rene picked that up and we had a nice night eating, knitting and watching a movie (The Banker - very good) in front of the fire. Both Anne and Rene gave me sock yarn for my birthday, which is always fun. For a back up plan, it has worked out just fine.

Sunday was my normal day of knitting in the sun all morning then puttering and getting chores done in the afternoon. There was still no resolution on the yarn and I was frankly avoiding it but the consensus from everyone I told about it was that I should get the yarn and a full refund. I think I'd be fine with the yarn and no additional money but that will require me to present that option. I'm in no rush to have that discussion though so it may wait. Next week has got to be better, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment