Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Week 2 - Back to Work

It was back to reality, and work, on Monday and I can't say I was looking forward to it. But before I could dig into work, I had to dig something else out.

My incision was sore and itchy - something was clearly wrong. I called my dermatologist's office and they got me in for an 11:00 appointment at their north Lincoln office, which saved me lots of driving. They found a piece of suture stuck in my neck that was causing all the trouble as my body tried to reject it. I left with a bandaid on my neck and 2 prescriptions - more antibiotics and antibacterial ointment. All worth it if my neck would finally heal. After a stop at the HyVee near the office, where I bought lunch and scored 2 scones for the price of 1, I headed back home to work on monthly reports.

I wish I could say it was all up hill with my neck but on Tuesday I got a big ole rash from the bandaids on my neck, which had me itching up a storm and taking a shower in the wee hours of Wednesday morning. I put steroid cream on the rash and the ointment on the incision and after a couple of days, it did turn a corner. About time!

Otherwise, the week was fine. There was nothing pressing on my calendar so it was a nice easing back into work. The weather turned frigid cold on Tuesday afternoon, right after I did a blitz of errands at lunch, so I happily stayed inside and got caught up at work, only venturing outside to keep the bird feeders filled. The highs on Wednesday and Thursday were in the single digits with wind chills around -20. It started to warm up on Friday and after a perfectly pleasant work week, I ran to Fremont at the end of the day to get groceries. I was prepared to hunker down for the weekend and had a big to do list. I was raring to go!

Saturday was the only above freezing day so I started the day stripping my bed and flipping the mattress before washing all the linens and hanging them on the line. Well, I actually spent most of the morning sitting in the sun in my nightie and knitting but the wash was on the line before noon, which is when it went above freezing. I then cleaned up the kitchen and went downstairs to do some mending. All Gansey chewed items, including my favorite nightie. Rotten cat but I got it done. I relaxed after dinner and was just about to head to bed when my cousin called at 9:35 with a knitting question. We were still talking at midnight. It was lovely.

I slept late Sunday for obvious reasons and was looking forward to a friend stopping after church. I waited and waited, my stomach growling as I was waiting to eat lunch until after she left. I called after 1:00 and she picked up the phone. She had driven by my house but didn't stop because the garage door was shut. Hello! It was windy so I shut it the previous night. Grrr.... I ate a quick lunch then started my next project - the freezer. 

I was determined to remove the dead ice maker but had to be rescued by Andrea when I didn't have a socket and couldn't get the last bolt lose with my needle nosed pliers. I did get it out and then completely organized the freezer. Only a couple of things hit the trash and a couple of mystery items got thawed but otherwise it was just all put back along with a bin and ice cube trays on the door shelf to make my own ice. That project had been on my list for ages so it felt great to have it done. And now I know what's in my freezer. Clearly I don't need to buy any meat for a LONG time. With omicron running rampant, having a house full of food isn't all bad.

I took a break for a cup of tea and then it was on to my last project for the weekend. I always enjoy the Christmas tree lighting up the corner of my back room when it's dark in the morning (I missed my last morning by sleeping late - oh well) but it was time to take it, and all the other Christmas decorations, down. It was the smallest tree I'd ever had so it didn't take long but it was the last thing on my list so I was pleased as punch to get it done. I moved a big geranium to where the tree was but need to work on some lights. Anyway... with all that done, it was time for a relaxing evening of knitting and PBS. 

So, not a bad week. Progress on my neck and my house in a pleasant re-entry week at work. My goal for the winter is to go through one room each month until spring so on the next weekend, a long one due to MLK Day, I'll be starting in the front room. I still had some yarn sorting to finish up and the hutch needs to be cleared and made pretty, which will mean finding new homes or donating lots of stuff. Once the stuff is under control, it'll be cleaning time. Can I do it before garden seasons starts? I sure hope so. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment