Friday, December 31, 2021

Week 52 - Another Covid Christmas

Well, it was another covid Christmas but I made the best of it and managed some fun.

Since we'd been given the extra 2 days added to break, a few of us were going into the office on Tuesday since we'd all be home on Wednesday and Cindy and I were hosting lunch. I had baked cookies on Sunday but was also taking a loaf of bread and cottage cheese dip so got those ready on Monday before taking some cookies to knitting. After that, I wrapped the presents I'd be taking to my work friends. I also got completely ready to be up and out on Tuesday, set my alarm and went to bed.

It did well getting to work at 8:00 (all that prep worked) and, as usual, it felt weird to be in the office and it was really my first full day working in the new office. If there'd been work going on. I'd sent an invite for coffee and a spit test for 9:30 but Starbuck's was closed so it was just spitting for the last test of the semester because why not? I spent the rest of the morning training a new employee so that I could say I'd gotten some work done and then it was time for lunch. There were only 8 of us in and it was great to sit around, chatting over yummy food. When we were pretty much all done eating, the Vice Chancellor popped in to say goodbye since he's leaving UNL for a new job. He was super chatty and was still the boss so we visited for another hour then told us we could leave early. Nice. I took a walk with Dodie, came back for half an hour and then was done for 11 glorious days.

My plan was to get a shingles shot on the way home and I'd made an appointment at Walgreen's but they wanted $130 for the shot and had a list of charges, which included a drug deductible. Well if I have to pay that much, you can bet your butt I'll do it in January so it counts towards 2022's deductible so I'd wasted precious time and headed straight home without grocery shopping, which had been the plan. Starting break was more important.

I had 3 days of leisure before Christmas. Glorious! I spent the mornings knitting in the sun with cats on my lap, did some final shopping, dyed some yarn and cooked a turkey dinner. I also sent pics of my angry incision to my doctor and they called me in a prescription. Yes, it could be infected and with the holiday weekend, we didn't want to take any chances. I picked up a few groceries at the local market after the pharmacy. 


It was so warm on Friday that I called Lori and suggested a walk with her dog at the lake so she came in from Omaha. After a lovely walk, we had tea on my deck and were perfectly comfortable until we lost the sun. I think it was in the low 60's. It was a lovely way to spend Christmas Eve. After she went home, I put together the turkey tetrazzini I'd take to Anne's on Christmas. I also finished my advent striped socks just in time to wear them on Christmas Day. Perfect.

I had 3 stockings to open from my sisters and Carolyn and they all did a great job. As usual, there was lots of Goodwill yarn, including some sock yarn, from Dottie. Yay! I made some calls to thank everyone and headed to Anne's. We ate the yummy tetrazzini (if I do say so myself) and then walked her friend's dog (the friend was out of town for Christmas) before renting Belfast. Great movie and it was nice to watch it while knitting in front of a fire. So a nice Christmas despite being in Nebraska because of covid. It's good to have friends.

I can't remember what I did on Sunday but there were some chats with friends, more knitting in the sun and eating some turkey for sure. I had made a list of possible projects for break but there'd be time for that next week. I hope you all had a nice Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment