Sunday, November 7, 2021

Week 45 - A Quiet Week

I finally had a quiet week at work with no training sessions. And that was even with monthly reports and going to campus on Wednesday for the first of what will be the norm going forward.

Monday was full with monthly reports and on Tuesday my day started with a snag. Normally I check my calendar as soon as I get up but for some reason I didn't on Tuesday. When I logged on at 8:00, I saw that I had an 8:00 meeting that I was already late for and I was still in my nightie. I got dressed in a flash and was only 7 minutes late. When the meeting was over, I went into my bedroom and found the nightie that I'd thrown on the bed had no armpit. My rotten cat, Gansey, had chewed 2 holes in it. Grrr....

Wednesday was the rescheduled donut party for Mary's retirement and I was on donut duty. Not only did I have to be dressed in socially acceptable clothing and be on campus by 8:00 but I had to pick up donuts before leaving town. I made it and the party was fun. Having not seen each other in 20 months, we all went around the room and gave an update. It wasn't an hour after her retirement party that we got an email from the Vice Chancellor saying he was leaving UNL and Mary would be the acting VC until the job was filled. So much for retirement! It was a busy day and weird being on campus so I wasn't upset when my friend cancelled our movie date that night. It felt good to go right home.

And it felt great Thursday morning to not set an alarm and start my work day in my nightie. Going back to campus, even just one day a week, is going to be a slog. I've gotten so used to my working at home routine that working on campus is a huge disruption. Woe is me. I know I shouldn't complain but that's my reality these days. I thoroughly enjoyed working from home on Thursday and Friday and was ready for the weekend.

A warm and sunny weekend was forecast so I would be spending time outside again, which is what convinced me to do a Fremont run Friday night for groceries and a Dollar Tree stop to get bins to finish organizing my yarn. With that done, I was in for the weekend.

It was sunny and reached 70 on Saturday so I spent hours outside getting the yard ready for winter. I started by cutting down the dead sunflowers in the parking and took a load of those to the city burn pile then grabbed BK for lunch. As soon as I was done eating, I started sifting compost. I had some still in the working bin so sifted that into my old wheelbarrow then added the last of this year's soil on top of that. With the bin empty, I decided to start clearing my veg beds and start filling the bin. Then with the big wheelbarrow empty, I dumped all my containers into it and got the pots into the garage. I then drained the hoses and was done. 

Andrea had invited me over for a beer so we sat on her front steps in the sun, chatting and enjoying a cold one. I left when we lost the sun. My lower back was singing with pain so I took a shower, got into my nightie went to bed early just so I could lay down.

My back was still sore on Sunday but quite a bit better. With my yard as ready as it needs to be for winter, I was staying in. I started the day frogging knitting projects that I knew I'd never finish. That felt good and when I was done, I went to the high school to get a take out turkey dinner from the Project Close Up fundraiser. I look forward to it every year and missed it last year when it was cancelled. I only ate half of it but was still stuffed. I did some chores and then went down to my craft room to make a Christmas knitting project bag, which I'd donated as a prize in my Socks from Stash group on Ravelry. I made 2 - one for me since I don't have a Christmas bag. It was dark as I finished them - damn time change.

So now the darkness begins. I'm glad I had a couple of nice weekend days to get things done because once it's dark at 5:00, I find it really hard to get motivated. I need to figure something out to get moving so I don't have a sore back after a few hours of gardening. I need to get busy! Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment