Sunday, October 4, 2020

Week 39 - Hangin' with Connie

It was a short work week because I was heading to Connie's. I couldn't wait to see her new house and just hang out but first had to get through 2 work days. I'm happy to say they were uneventful. And I ended Tuesday watching a lecture by Doris Kearns Goodwin via zoom.

I loaded up the car and left my house on schedule at 8:00. I was taking the scenic route but was proud that I'd resisted going via Scottsbluff to hit Brown Sheep's factory store. So Goodwill in Norfolk was as fun as it got. I stopped there then hit DQ in O'Neill for a Mocha MooLatte. After a stop for gas, I powered through and with gaining an hour, I was at Connie's by supper time. After a tour of her house, we ate the sausage and peppers I'd brought and chatted the night away. It was great to see her and her new house is wonderful.

We had no specific plans beyond Connie's birthday dinner on her friend's patio on Friday so headed to Spearfish. After the grocery store, we had a nice Italian lunch outside at Nonna's on the main drag and hit the health food store. After we put the groceries away and had some tea, we headed to Belle Valley Ancient Grains - a local organic flour miller. We waited while they milled our flour then went home for a salmon supper and watching Greyhound. Tom Hanks was great, as usual, but a war movie? What was I thinking?

Friday was Connie's birthday so we drove back to Spearfish to get Connie's free birthday coffee at Starbuck's and pick up some eggs from her friend. With that done, after a stop at the little craft shop, we drove up the canyon. It's my happy place and was even prettier with all the fall foliage. And while we weren't prepared for wading, we still put our feet in the water at Roughlock Falls. It was breathtakingly cold but worth it. We went over the mountain to Lead and had fun in a couple of shops. I finally bought some stocking stuffers, which took some of the heat off Christmas. After a quick stop for truffles at The Chubby Chipmunk, we went home to do the last supper prep.

Dinner was at Francie's but we were bringing the food. She was providing the grill and patio. We had steaks, caprese salad and naan with ice cream for dessert. I'd heard a lot about Francie and she didn't disappoint. Connie broke out some special whisky and we had wine with dinner. It was all lovely.

Between the canyon and dinner, we had a bit of time to kill so I suggested we start moving rocks. The woman who Connie bought the house from had torn out all her plants and rocked all the beds. Ick! So we started with the front bed and schlepped 3 wheel barrow's full of rocks to her alley. After her son delivered a desk he'd refinished on Saturday morning, we went right back outside and moved some more. We then planted some bulbs and set up a little harvest display with pumpkins and gourds we'd bought. After our good start, Connie vowed to keep moving rocks until that bed was done. Exhausted from all that, we had a little Mary Poppins fest with Saving Mr. Banks, dinner (I made carbonara) then the original Mary Poppins. My visit was pretty much over. It had been quick but so wonderful. We laughed and laughed. I was sorry to be leaving.

As I usually do, I got up early and had the car loaded before Connie was even awake. We had breakfast and I hit the road. I lose an hour going home so took the speedy route - driving 80 mph all the way across South Dakota on I-90. It's boring but quick. The last 2 hours is a slog on a 2 lane highway from Sioux City to Wahoo but it somehow feels faster. It actually took the same amount of time - 8.5 hours - and I was home by 6:00.

It had been a great trip and I fear it was the last one for a LONG time. I pondered that as I unpacked and did the bare minimum to get ready for the work week. I'll do my best to savor the fun we had. I wish Connie lived closer but at least we get quality time when I visit and she lives in a gorgeous area that I never would have gotten to know had she not moved there. Lucky me to have such a good friend, even if she is far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment