Sunday, February 3, 2019

Week 3 - Preparing for Connie

It was a relatively normal week that started out with an interesting work task that definitely qualified as “other duties as assigned” and ended with winter weather.

When I got back from lunch at Noodles with Darla on Monday, Mary gave me a fun project with a busy deadline. Mary and Nora were leaving for KU at 3:00 and were 2 mugs short for thank you gifts. Now the mugs were old and discontinued Nebraska mugs made from corn plastic so my mission was to see if I could find more. I spent an hour and a half calling everyone I could think of but came up empty. Mary had given me money to buy 2 different mugs if I couldn’t find any so I gave up at 2:45 and ran over to the bookstore. But it was only the 2nd week of classes so the line was huge. I ran back to Canfield and begged 2 mugs from Research, delivering them just before they were leaving. What a frantic but fun afternoon!

Tuesday was the State of the University speech and since it was in honor of the U’s 150th year, I actually went in person. It was a wonderful speech and we all left excited for Charter Week festivities. With no swimming or knitting, I went right home that night and got caught up and made dinner. That always feels like a treat since it only happens once in most weeks. I had intended to swim on Wednesday but Nora called me as I was walking to my car and by the time I hung up, it was too late to swim so I got to go home a 2nd night in a row. And then I got to go straight home Thursday too. This was a banner week for time at home. Gotta love that.

There was winter weather coming on Friday and by shortly after noon, the drizzle that had been falling started to freeze. With snow due for drive time, it was going to be dangerous. The Vice Chancellor came by at 3:00 to say that the U wasn’t closing but we should do what we thought was safe. Everyone was out the door within minutes but I stayed until 3:30 to finish up what I was working on. The ride home was slow going but it still felt like a win to be home early on a Friday.

This was my weekend to clean before Connie’s visit but when we woke up Saturday, the ice and snow, which we’d gotten way less of in Wahoo than Lincoln, was nearly gone so Andrea and I headed to Fremont for spinning. Fremont had gotten absolutely no ice so it was fine up there. After spinning, we did our usual errands and this time we got to go to the new Aldi, which is big and beautiful. I bought all kinds of clearance Christmas goodies and got a huge gift basket for $10 that will go as a door prize to the Wine & Dine. We ended the night at Todd’s in Cedar Bluffs and while I was happy with the tots, my favorite beer was off so we sent it back to the bar. It’s on tap so there must have been something wrong in the line. We got something else but it wasn’t as good, of course. We didn’t get home until almost 9:00 so I put the groceries away and went to bed.

Sunday was chores and starting the big spare room clear out for Connie’s visit. It wasn’t in horrible condition but in order to give her some floor space, I cleared out a lot of the yarn totes, moving them to the front room. I binned up most of the clothes that were stacked on the bed. I wasn’t completely done but had Monday, MLK Day, to finish up. All in all, it had been a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment