Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Week 20 - Horrible Intestinal Bug

Did you see that title? Get ready for some TMI - keep reading at your own risk.

I was feeling off when I woke up Monday morning but went to work thinking my thermos of coffee would settle my stomach. Not only did it not settle my stomach (I couldn't even finish it!) but by 11:00 I had the runs. Now I am usually too riddled with guilt to call in sick (I don't do mental health days) but when stuff is coming out of one end or the other of my body, I have no problem calling in. I left work immediately and headed home. Little did I know that was the best I'd feel for days.

I took some pepto and went right to bed. I slept until 4:00 and when things hadn't resolved, I took an immodium, which did the trick. I was worried that I wouldn't sleep that night after such a long nap but went to bed and slept for 10.5 hours. I took more immodium Tuesday morning and went back to bed, sleeping for 2 hours in the morning and 2 more in the afternoon. When I woke up from the second nap, I was feeling some better. So much so that when Nora called, I said I'd be in on Wednesday. I had tried to bend over and was light headed, which should have been a clue but I went to bed thinking I was on the mend.

I woke up at 1:00 a.m. with the runs again and was on and off the toilet for 2 hours before 2 more doses of immodium got it under control. I emailed my plight saying I wouldn't be working Wednesday after all and went back to bed. When I finally got up, I called my doctor's office and left a message. My friend Heidi, who teaches at Wahoo Elementary, had said this was going around town and lasted for days so I wanted some advice. I'd already called Lorri to ask if she'd get me some chicken soup and apple juice but when the nurse called back at 3:30, she told me I needed gatorade rather than apple juice and that there was no reason to come in so just to stay hydrated and tough it out. It was a 3-5 day bug. OMG! I didn't take a nap Wednesday afternoon so was exhausted and went to bed at 8:00. Of course someone started mowing at 8:45 (in the dark!) and woke me up. I was awake for hours and so didn't set my alarm.

I woke up feeling MUCH better on Thursday and actually ate an English muffin for breakfast. My energy was back and when my breakfast didn't cause issues, I called Nora to say I'd be in after lunch. I had left Andrea a message the night before asking if she'd be willing to pick up some gatorade and crackers for me if I was still sick. When I forgot to call her back, she arrived just before 10:00 with 6 bottles of gatorade and 2 boxes of crackers. It's good to have such wonderful friends! I paid her but sent her away with 5 of the gatorades, figuring I'd keep one in the cupboard for the next time I was sick. I ate some soup and went to work, feeling 90% fine. I actually finished a project I'd started Monday morning and figured I was done. Until I was an absolute idiot.

Now the nurse had told me not to drink apple juice when I had diarrhea but I was done with that so poured myself a big glass Thursday night. STUPID! I set the alarm for Friday morning and felt fine when I got up but half an hour later was back on the toilet. I called in AGAIN and it wasn't until midday, when I felt fine and had had no further issues that I realized it was the juice. How could I be such an idiot? It did taste great though but I would not be drinking more anytime soon. I was fine by the end of Friday and even ate my first normal meal (pasta with red sauce) for supper. Nice.

It's a good thing I got so much sleep all week because I set my alarm for 4:50 to get up for the royal wedding. A few weeks ago I'd tried to convince friends to come over for a wedding breakfast but had no takers, which ended up being a good thing. I enjoyed watching the wedding and afterwards got busy cleaning my house - scrubbing the bathroom, changing sheets and sweeping/vacuuming floors. Lori was in town for a hair appointment and we'd made tentative plans to get Chinese for lunch but I wasn't sure if we'd be eating at Andrea's shop or at my house. Andrea had to leave right at 1:00 so we ended up eating standing up at her shop. The food tasted amazing after 5 days of minimal amounts of bland food. Yay!

There was a high point in this awful week. Earlier in the week, Anne had emailed me about an estate sale in Lincoln with lots of high end yarn for sale. It started Friday and then went to 25% off Saturday morning and 50% off at noon. She'd gone first on Friday to check it out then went back at noon Saturday to buy some yarn. She had bought lots, including some sock yarn for me, and since I desperately needed to hit a good market, I headed to Lincoln at 3:00. OMG! We happily opened all the bags and sorted the yarn. We split the yarn and the cost so for $40 I got hundreds of dollars worth of gorgeous yarn, most of it sock yarn. Yay! After hanging with Anne for a bit, I hit Super Saver for non-bland food and headed home. With only one day of a wasted week left,  had high hopes for finding space between rain showers to garden on Sunday.

Nope. While the forecast said cloudy, it pretty much rained on and off all day. Every time I thought it was going to clear, it started raining again. At 3:00, I finally gave up any hopes of getting outside. I kept busy inside but was not a happy camper. All the optimism I had after my week off in April, when it seemed possible that this could be the year I got my yard back under control, was evaporating. The forecast for the coming week was blazing heat and humidity. Oh well. At least I was healthy again. That would have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment