Monday, May 14, 2018

Week 18 - Drama and Gardening

The week started with a milestone - the end of my handicapped parking permit. But that was a good thing because I didn't need it anymore. I actually hadn't needed it in awhile but it sure was handy. Otherwise it was a busy week with some highs and some lows.

Being a Master Gardener shouldn't be so hard! I had emailed the new MG coordinator for my county and she confirmed that she had DOUBLED the annual volunteer hours from 20 to 40! She had a long rationale about "unmet educational needs" in the county and tried to convince me that I should give up every Saturday morning all summer to staff an Ask the MG table at the Fremont farmers' market. Nope. Her email shot dead the fabulous mood I was in. I sent an email to the UNL MG coordinator asking if i could transfer and she cc'd my county coordinator in her response. Busted! And have I heard back from either of them with any resolution? No. And it's been 10 days now.

The same day all this happened, I also got an email from Eileen saying it wasn't going to work for me to visit in June because her daughter was having surgery so she'd be on grandma duty, becoming the primary caretaker for her autistic grandson. Now I can see Eileen anytime but Connie is going to be in Toronto visiting her new grandbaby so I was coordinating trips so I could see her too. She's going to be so disappointed and I still haven't told her. Chicken - that's me.

Enough negativity! I had some fun this week to offset all the drama. I went to 2 retirement parties (people are leaving UNL in droves) and failed to make it to a third but at least we got ice cream while we were on East Campus. I had fun thrifting with Cindy on Wednesday and then had a rare lunch out with Dodie to catch up. Somehow it's much easier to talk while sitting/eating rather than walking. And I ended the work week with swimming and a trip to From the Ground Up to buy annuals for my containers. All good.

Saturday morning was more MG volunteer hours, this time at the Nebraska Statewide Arboretum's native plant sale. I had to be on campus at 8:30 so of course I asked Darla if she wanted to do breakfast. I was on road before 6:30 and we had some rare face time over sausage and eggs at Cook's Cafe (best sausage links in town.) So worth it though and then the sale was fun. Not super busy but not boring either. I got some free plants and chatted with the NSA director quite a bit. Got some knitting done too. : )

I had big plans for errands after the sale but having sat outside in the wind for 5 hours, I felt gritty and tired so just stopped at From the Ground Up again to buy one more six pack before heading home for tea. I relaxed for the rest of the day, having earned it.

Sunday was gorgeous so I got the laundry in and headed outside. My goal was to edge all my garden beds so that John, who would be mowing for the first time Monday evening, would know where to mow. IT took hours but I got it done along with a few other things. I felt good, but tired, at the end of the day. 

I'd moved on from the drama of early in the week, despite getting no resolution, and enjoyed some spring weather and making progress in my yard. With Canada cancelled (hopefully postponed) I have no travel planned, which is odd but feels OK. Maybe when the summer heat sets in I'll be ready to think about getting on a plane but for now I'm happy to be home working in my yard. Happy spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment