Monday, September 24, 2012

Week 39 - My Yarn Score

It was a pretty normal week. Work, swimming, knitting – you know, normal. For me anyway.

I worked late on Wednesday, trying to finish something I’d been working on and when I got home I had a nice surprise. I’d been waiting for a box of yarn from Germany that a woman from Ravelry was sending me for free. It was all her mom’s leftover sock yarn, which I was going to use for more monster socks. Well, the box was HUGE and full of wonderful cakes of yarn in all different sizes. Before, during and after watching Survivor, I played with yarn, mixing and matching all the wonderful colors. I was in heaven.

But when I was done with the yarn and ready for bed, I couldn’t find Pixel, who always comes in at night. So I was up a couple of times before midnight, slept fitfully and then got up for good at 4:30. Still no Pixel. I sat down to make a lost cat poster and was just finishing at 5:00 when she walked in the door. I set the oven time for an hour and half and went back to sleep. At least I slept well for that small chunk. Sheesh!

I had planned to go to HyVee for steak dinner after swimming on Thursday with Kate but I bumped into her on the way to swimming and we decided to skip it. When I got home, there was yet another package of yarn waiting for me – this one the last of the trades I’d done for extra yarn I had. So it was another fun night of sorting yarn. Can life get any better?

Helen was coming over after work on Friday to pick up the pile of clothes I’d bought at the thrift shop bag sale plus a few I’d culled from my closet and we were going to get pizza. Well, she walked in with her craft box and we got talking so she didn’t leave until after 10:00. I was so tired I was rubbing my eyes like a baby. I still had to do the treasurer’s report for the Friends meeting the next morning. I got it done and crawled into bed exhausted.

I talked to Carolyn first thing on Saturday and then headed to the library. After the meeting, I was walking across the library and something tweaked in my knee. I could only hope it wasn’t going to be a problem.It was uncomfortable driving over to get the Hart kids, who were going to mow (first time since May, really!) and do some yard work. I spent my afternoon knitting. Yes, it’s more socks. It was a nice, relaxing day but my knee was iffy. Good thing I was going to the doc again on Monday.

I should have been more productive on chores on Saturday because I was volunteering all afternoon at the Ag Research & Development Center’s 50th anniversary open house. I did manage to get a few things done before heading out, including changing my linens to fall – flannel sheets and my winter comforter – and washing the summer one at the laundromat and hanging it out. I got to the ARDC just after 1:00 and was sent to the children’s area, where I helped at the make your own ice cream booth. There were different 4H-ers each hour and the time flew. I saw lots of people I knew so had a pleasant afternoon. I was home in time to have a cup of tea before dinner time and had plenty of energy to finish my chores.

All in all, it was a good week. I got to spend time with Helen, had lots of yarn fun, started a new pair of socks, got some volunteer hours in and still managed to finish my chores. All that and fall finally arrived. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment