Sunday, March 25, 2012

Week 13 - Hot and Cold

It was spring break at UNL this week but it felt like the middle of the summer. The week started with weather in the mid-80’s and because it was spring break and should have been chilly outside, it was our annual chilled water outage. No air conditioning! It was SO hot in the office on Monday that it was hard to concentrate. By Tuesday it was raining and cooler outside but it wasn’t comfortable in the office until Wednesday. Sheesh!

The most fun thing this week was the yarn haul Darla picked up for me at Brown Sheep in Mitchell, NE. They were going to be in Scottsbluff doing training so I called Brown Sheep and placed a huge order for fiber (to spin) and lots of sock yarn. The woman was digging through closets to find samples that hadn’t made it to production. I have scads of fun yarn that will keep me knitting and spinning for ages. And all for cheap, which was the icing on the cake.

The other thing worth mentioning from the week was going to the ortho doc for my knee. Of course, by the time I got there my knee was fine and despite being manhandled by both the PA and doctor, nothing hurt. They said it wasn’t arthritis because I have plenty of cartilage so they assumed it was my meniscus, which means I have that problem in both knees. Yikes! They can’t tell without an MRI but said I could come in before my trip for a cortisone shot or an Rx for steroids if I was having any pain. So, I’ll just be playing it by ear. After I left the doctor’s office, I called Helen and we met for a coffee in the hospital lobby. It was nice to catch up.

I was supposed to scrapbook at Camp Fontanelle on Saturday and Sunday but when the rain cleared at the end of the week and the forecast was for gorgeous weather, I knew I couldn’t do it. I gave Jenny a check for the $45 to give to Dori and crossed that off my list. Now the weekend was all mine.

I woke up Saturday with a sore throat. I did go out and cut down some trees in the yard but didn’t do much else outside. By Sunday, I had a cough and felt like I had bricks on my chest. I laid down for an hour in the afternoon and despite getting more congested by the minute, it helped. I was able to do a tiny bit more in the yard then made dinner and some banana bread. Clearly this was not the productive weekend I had planned on but I didn’t plan on getting sick. It’s been awhile since I had a cold so I guess I was due. And even though it feels like summer, it’s only March so I’m not going to stress about the yard work yet. Give me a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment