Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 8 - Lots of Visiting

What a week! It had it all – a visit from Connie, beautiful weather, work days that flew by, a wedding and some blessed down time.

When I left for work on Monday, I didn’t know if it was just Connie coming or her and Gordy, her new love interest. This meant I had to do a lot more neatizing than I would have for just Connie. The last thing I did was empty all the trash and wheel the trash can to the curb. In my nightie. In the dark. Well, I didn’t see the ice at the bottom of my driveway and was on my butt before I even knew I was falling. I scrambled to my feet and ran in to get dressed, knowing I’d be sore later. At least no one saw me (I hope!) Of course I was running late so parked at a meter.

Connie called mid morning to say she was coming alone. What a relief! I ran errands over lunch – everything I’d hoped to get done before work. I mailed my swap package and ran to the locksmith and market. Connie would be chez moi by 6:00 and her daughter Rachele was coming for dinner. She was bringing a salad and I was making asparagus and goat cheese pasta. We all three arrived within 5 minutes of each other and the pasta was ready in 15 minutes. We cracked a bottle of chardonnay and enjoyed settled in for good food and company. Since I wasn’t going to make it to knitting, Donna stopped by to pick up some yarn and the rugelach I’d made for Valentine’s Day and stayed for a quick glass of wine. Rachele left relatively early and Connie and I stayed up talking. It was wonderful to have some face time with Connie at last!

I saw Connie for only a few minutes on Tuesday morning but we were supposed to meet for lunch at the Indian restaurant near campus. When Connie called to say she was having lunch with Betty’s son before the funeral, Darla and I grabbed lunch. Connie called as I was leaving the pool to see if I wanted to do Indian for dinner but I declined. I’m OK with spending $10 for lunch on food I’m not particularly fond of but not twice that for dinner. So I went home for a quiet night of TV and knitting. Connie got home at 9:00 and we talked until midnight.

Needless to say, I was exhausted on Wednesday but I hugged Connie goodbye and headed to work. It hadn’t been a good sign when I saw UNL’s online directory on the morning news. I spent the day slamming to figure out how to fix the data on the coaches I’d seen on the news. Sheesh! I was running on empty but Anne guilted me into going to the pool, which ended up being a good thing. I went home, nuked dinner, watched Survivor and went to bed early. I slept like a baby.

I had a 3 hour meeting on Thursday morning and was leaving at 2:30 for a podiatrist appointment so the day flew by. I was happy when I left the doctor’s since I didn’t have a plantar’s wart. It was 70+ degrees so I got a frapuccino and sat outside while I had my oil changed then met Darla at the theatre to see The King’s Speech. What a fabulous movie! I was home by 7:00 to prep for scrapbooking Friday night, which was no small task since I’d thrown everything willy nilly into the spare room closet when Connie called.

Friday brought more identity management data problems and it was nuts all morning. I went to lunch with Layton and then returned to Crazy Town for a few more hours of stress. At least the day flew. I hit the market and then went to scrapbooking. I wasn’t as tired as I’d thought I’d be but that was probably because I was still drinking my morning coffee at 4:00. Sheesh! Alas, I wasn’t as prepared as I’d hoped. I hadn’t worked on my album since the fall and didn’t have enough pictures printed. But at least no one else was very motivated either. I only got 2 pages done but it was fun to catch up with everyone. I got home at midnight and fell into bed.

I had wisely decided not to go to spinning earlier in the week so the only commitment I had on Saturday was to go the bank before noon and drop a check at the library. I’d already stripped all the beds and hung the sheets on the line so I was free to sit and knit once my errands were done. I don’t know if it was the gorgeous weather, just having a free day or a combo of the two but I was in a fabulous mood. The afternoon flew by and I enjoyed every minute of it. I sat down to watch Inception Saturday night, having been warned I needed to pay attention so I didn’t knit. But the laptop was right in front of me and I ended up surfing for patterns online and missing important parts of the movie. Sheesh!

On Sunday, four of us from water aerobics went to Betsy’s wedding (she was one of our instructors.) It was in Hallam, the town about 30 miles south of Lincoln where I helped with tornado clean up in 2004, so I was interested in seeing how they’d rebuilt. The wedding was at 1:30 so I had to leave for Lincoln at noon. It was sweet – six bridesmaids and six groomsmen in the village auditorium. After a yummy piece of cake, we headed back and I got home in time for a cup of tea. What a nice way to end the week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm worn out just reading about your week. Hope the next one is great also.