Sunday, March 21, 2010

Week 12 - Three Potluck Dinners

What a week! I had three separate potlucks on the schedule, which would mean I’d only be home one night by 7:00 before Friday. Sheesh!

Monday night was book club in Palmyra, which would mean an hour ride home once it was over. I had made an apple pie on Saturday so was all set with that. Then Nicki, who was hosting that night, came into my office and asked how upset I’d be if no one else had read the book. Well, I lit into her and expressed all the disappointment I’d ever felt with this book club, which has been considerable. When she came in later and asked me if I’d be cranky that night, I handed over my pie and bowed out. I took advantage of the unexpected free night and hit the grocery store. Then I went home, nuked leftover pasta and enjoyed it with a glass of wine. I didn’t even go to knitting. I did prep the salsa pork for Wednesday’s potluck so fell asleep to the smell of pork in the crock pot.

On Tuesday I ended up working late but still had to go to water aerobics so I could give the pork to Anne, who was hosting Wednesday’s dinner. I didn’t get into the pool until 5:30 but I guess it was better than nothing because it was the only class that week due to spring break.

I woke up at 4:30 on Wednesday and it was clear I wasn’t going to fall back asleep so I got up and made deviled eggs for the potluck. I made it through the day but was very tired and vowed to leave Anne’s early. Well, I had such a good time hanging out with the water aerobics gang outside of the pool that I was one of the last people to leave. I fell into bed the minute I got home. Just one more to go.

The sun finally came out on Thursday and the temp was in the 60’s. How nice that I was leaving early for my last potluck of the week – a newsletter meeting with the master gardeners in Fremont. Since this was my third, I weanied out and just brought shrimp with cocktail sauce and some chai green iced tea. Lorri drove and it was a pleasant meeting with delicious food. That was two nice dinners in a row and the last one – yay!

Unfortunately Friday brought a return of winter. By early afternoon it was snowing, with 3 inches expected. I stopped for milk and headed home to relax. I was scrapbooking on Saturday and Sunday at Camp Fontanelle but decided I’d get up early (I rarely sleep past 6:00, even on weekends) and prep for that in the morning. Big mistake!

I must have been worried about prepping because I had stress dreams galore. I woke up in a panic at 2:30 from a Jason Bourne-like dream, complete with people chasing me with guns, me strangling an old woman, rolling down a hill covered with snow covered bushes and calling 911 from a house only to find out they were in on it and were sending people to kill me. I’m not kidding! I did fall asleep again eventually so woke up at 7:30, much later than I’d wanted and feeling groggy to boot. Sheesh!

I wasn’t looking forward to scrapbooking but decided to get off my butt and get busy. I called and told them I wouldn’t be there on time and started slogging through the spare bedroom, which had looked like a bomb site for months and held all my scrapbooking supplies. I finished clearing out the room and then went through all my scrapbooking stuff and organized it. I ate lunch, uploaded pics to Walgreens and loaded the car. I stopped at Starbucks on the way to get everyone some caffeine inspiration and headed to camp. I ended up enjoying the weekend and finished an entire album of my Monterey trip last October. I ran some errands on the way home (I dropped a bag of stuff from the spare room at Goodwill and scored 2 CJ Banks sweaters for $8.00) and got home in time to do the bare minimum of chores before starting another week. And this week I only have one commitment after work and spring weather is coming back. Life is good!

P.S. The transfer in pounds is still not done. After leaving voice mails that didn't get returned and then dealing with three different bankers, they still need another piece of information. I think I finally have what they need and hope to report next week that the trip has been paid for and I've bought a ticket. Cross you fingers!

1 comment: