Monday, February 9, 2009

Week 6 - Striving for Normal

My knee is MUCH better. I started the week on crutches but ditched them for a cane as soon as I got to work (I had left the cane there last week before the “pop.”) It didn’t take long to realize though that walking with the cane had its own set of issues. By the end of the day Monday, between the cane and the fact that I’d worn my brace all day so hadn’t bent my knee, I had aches and pains all over. So my goal became slow but normal. I still used the brace to drive and the cane to get to and from my car, which is parked right in front of my building thanks to a temporary handicapped permit, but once inside it all went and I just walked slowly with as normal a gait as possible. Every day the knee felt better and better and by the end of the week I was completely off the cane and brace and was down to 400mg of ibuprofen at a time rather than 800’s. I even went back to water aerobics! Thursday I didn’t do many of the moves but did most of them Friday – again slow but normal. It felt great to be back in the pool. Now I just need to get caught up on all the chores I didn’t get done while I had my knee up. I made a big dent on Sunday but still have a ways to go. I even managed to get some cooking done so won’t be eating out of the freezer this week. Life is good!





P.S. I scrapbooked on Saturday and picked my friend Cindy's brain (she's a physical therapist) about my original injury. She thinks I pulled my popliteus muscle. I googled it when I got home and I think it's the culprit that caused it all.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you are better. These kinds of injuries take so long to feel totally normal again. Please be careful until you are fully healed.
    Thinking of you. I am scrapping today too.
    Big Hugs, Girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popliteus. Hmmmm, talk about your onomatopoeia.

    ReplyDelete