Monday, June 5, 2023

Week 20 - Cancellation and Containers

The week started off so chilly that I put the oven on first thing Monday and baked a pound of bacon. That warmed up the house and set me up for BLT's all week for lunch. Nice.

The first major thing this week was I cancelled going to Vienna with Connie. I had been dragging my feet getting a plane ticket and when I gave some brain time to why that was, I realized I didn't really want to go. Timing wise, it was 1 week after my RI beach trip, which would mean flying home on a Sunday, working all week and flying out for 2 weeks in Europe on Saturday. Um.....no. It was also getting more expensive with each passing day and when push came to shove, that's not a trip I want to blow the bank on so I called Connie Monday night. She was great. Disappointed but didn't give me grief. My sense of relief was immediate so clearly I'd made the right choice.

On the work front, I did my last 2 training sessions until late August, had my annual evaluation (hate that, despite it always being fine), got a new virtual machine set up and pulled a demo/training session out of my ass. Someone had asked me to demo one of my databases but then neglected to invite me to the training session he'd scheduled with his entire business center! He messaged me to say they were all waiting for me on zoom, realized he'd not invited me and so sent the zoom link. With zero preparation, I managed to not look like an idiot. Big relief! Was there any thank you or apology from the person who screwed up? Nope. Lame.

I started planting my containers Tuesday after work. Anyone who's been in my yard knows that I love my containers and have them all over the deck and driveway plus have hanging baskets too. Now with the neck brace on and a lifting limitation, it was slow going but I got 5 of 6 planted that night, did a couple more here and there and then took Friday afternoon off (it was too gorgeous to work) and planted the rest. I even prepped the pots for the peppers and eggplants Lorri had saved for me so when she dropped them Sunday after church, I had them in the pots before she got home (and she lives just across town). With all those done, the only thing left was the veg beds and I was saving that for post-brace.

It was a relaxing weekend. I had spinning in Fremont (Andrea drove) on Saturday with an abbreviated run of just Goodwill and Aldi afterwards. I'd been watching the last season of Picard all week so enjoyed that while eating snack supper. Sunday was chores, chatting on the phone and I did sift the last foot of compost after getting all my containers done so had a wheelbarrow full for my veg beds, which would be coming soon. 

In less than a week, I'd be neck brace free and then look out! I'm ready to do all the driving and lifting I've been restricted from and I had taken time off ahead of Memorial Day weekend to get it all done. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment