Sunday, January 10, 2021

Week 52 - My Covid Christmas

Well, that was different!

I had done my best to make this holiday season festive. I had 6 different advent calendars so started each day opening presents. Since 2 of the calendars were beer and cheese, I made that dinner on way too many nights, drinking more beer in December than I normally drink in six months. I also did a 12 days of Christmas swap so had knitting gifts to open for the 12 days before Christmas (I know, not the traditional 12 days). Then I bought festive frankenfood - peppermint mocha coffee mate, which I used the tiniest amount of because it was SO sweet. But it was also yummy so I enjoyed festive coffee every morning. And I ended most nights with a little glass of egg not All this was fun but nothing could make this year feel normal. Nothing.

But I had some fun anyway. I started with getting a buzz cut on Tuesday morning. It's something I've always wanted to try and I figured now was the time. If I looked awful, I'd have some time to grow it out before I'd see people. My hairdresser used a 1/2" blade and only left a tiny bit in the front longer so I could have enough bangs to cover my forehead lump. I was suprised that it didn't look bad at all. I had thought I'd have to spend a month wearing a hat but I clearly wouldn't have to. Not a great picture but what do you think?

Good thing I didn't need a hat because it was in the low 60's on Tuesday and I'd taken the afternoon off to deliver presents. I left for Lincoln right at noon and spent the afternoon dropping jars of jam and gifts all over town. I had mapped out my route but when I found the bag of book club books on the back seat that needed to be returned to the Library Commision downtown, I changed it up. Dodie was on campus so I met her outside her building and then headed across town, hitting a few thrift stores on the way to my boss'. I spent half an hour chatting with my friend Van and then headed to Anne's. Rene was picking up dinner and we were meeting at Anne's. I brought beer from my advent to share. We had a lovely evening, having a fire after dinner. Then my boss came by to drop off bags of Christmas candies she'd made that afternoon. It was a wonderful day!

We only had to work until 3:00 on Wednesday, which is always nice. I made a cup of tea to go with the Christmas cookies Anne had made and sorted the bags of yarn I'd bought on Tuesday. I was now officially off work for 11 days. Nothing wrong with that!

The warm weather didn't last and it snowed overnight - just enough to be festive. I had some cooking to do and was worried that I'd bail on shovelling if I left it until later so I got my butt outside and shovelled the driveway first thing. I put the lasagna together then made the cream for Anne's banana cream pie. With my obligations out of the way, I made some tea and picked up the phone. I talked to Sharyn, my Auntie Margaret and John before watching Becoming on Netflix. An odd Christmas Eve but pleasant.

I had 3 stocking boxes to open up on Christmas morning. Despite the challenges of shopping during a pandemic, both of my sisters and Carolyn did a great job. Ginny won for best stocking stuffer - a window cling of the Queen to put on my back car window. Ha! With presents opened, the Christmas calls started - Ginny, Carolyn, a zoom with Deanne and then Dottie from the car. I was headed to Anne's with lasagna and homemade banana cream pie, which I'd nixed for Thanksgiving (that's not a Thanksgiving pie!) so had made for Christmas. I baked the lasagna there so we ate a late lunch then had a fire and chatted the afternoon away. Anne and I had as nice a Christmas as possible during a pandemic. I'm lucky to have such a great friend in my bubble.

Christmas was done and I had 9 days off ahead of me. I had made a big list of possible projects but decided to start with a normal weekend. I put all my presents away and did my regular weekend chores. And lots of knitting, of course. I had saved yarn named FY2020 to cast on socks in hopes to finish by the 31st so did a lot of work on those.

I had done very little cooking and baking (none really) all month and I brought home half the lasagna so was set for dinners. I had high hopes for being productive in the next week and certainly was well rested to start. I hope you found some joy in your Covid Christmas. 2021 was coming and can only get better, right? Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment