Sunday, December 27, 2020

Week 50 - Yet Another Accident

I started the week shipping my last package to the coast. With packages all on their way, the heat was off so it was time to finish my Christmas prep and take advantage of some warm weather too.

I took Tuesday afternoon off to finish the garage because we were having another freakish warm spell. It was in the mid 60's the second week in December! I finished clearing the boxes of Corelle from the garage on Tuesday and then had lunch with Lorri in the park on Wednesday before heading to Lincoln for an appointment with my shoulder doctor.


The pain I've been experiencing is not my rotator cuff! I was so happy to hear that and left the office with some exercises to do. Yay! I had a couple of hours to kill before meeting Anne and Rene at the gym for swimming so tracked down some candied pineapple for Lorri's Christmas cookies. Swimming was great but alas, I had an accident in my own driveway when I got home.


I had pulled an upholstered chair from the garage and had arranged for it to be picked up with my trash the next week. It was an old chair that I'd used in my rental when I first moved to Wahoo but it had been in my garage since I bought my house 21 years ago. It was probably ~100 years old so was super sturdy. I had put it by the side of the garage on the driveway and somehow my wheel well caught the arm of the chair as I drove into the garage. Because the chair was so substantial, it was unscathed but my car had a big dent that prevented my passenger door from opening and the wall of the garage was shoved back at the bottom with a big dent in the siding. Seriously? This is the 3rd accident I've had in this car, two with inanimate objects! That's more accidents than I've had in the previous 40 years of driving. Grrr....


Needless to say, I didn't sleep well that night and was exhausted at work and then at book club Thursday night. I slept better that night and was ready for the weekend. It was raw and cold on Friday but I ran out for Chinese food for lunch anyway. I had hopes that that would be my only foray outside all weekend.


I neatized on Saturday, shoveled the driveway and then attempted to put up my Christmas tree after dinner. But, of course, my lights were hinky. First only half of them lit then they failed completely. Despite the cold and late hour, I went out to Family Dollar at 8:30 and bought a box of lights. By the time I got them and the beads on the tree, I was tired and went to bed, leaving it for the next day.



On Sunday I was inspired to put up the small bottle brush tree in the front room along with candles in the windows. I pulled the dusty tree from under the basement stairs and in digging around in my Christmas stuff, I found 3 strands of light - 1 still in the box. Sheesh! After the front tree was all set up and looking pretty, I made a batch of strawberry/banana jam (it may be my best jam ever) before tackling the back tree. I decided I needed more lights so undecorated it and started over. I thoroughly enjoyed decorating my tree while watching It's a Wonderful Life, which is my annual tradition. I ended the night with a glass of eggnog, happy that my Christmas preparation was done and I'd actually be able to relax until Christmas. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment