Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Week 30 - My New Toast-R-Oven

If you work in Business & Finance, fiscal year-end is later than for the campus users. My work starts when the users are locked out and that was this week. I do all the report prep for closing meetings and the first one was Friday morning but there was plenty going on in my life before then.

We got word this week that my cousin's Disneyland wedding in September was officially cancelled. I had already made the decision not to go but then California's Covid cases sky rocketed so Kelley and Gabe officially called it off. They're still getting married in September but will have the Disney event on their 1 year anniversary, good lord willing. I'd been putting off sending the RSVP but now don't need to. 

We had book club again on Thursday night. I neglected to let the library know we'd be meeting and since the city council was in the big room, we masked up and met around the small table in the genealogy room. We had all read the book in March so couldn't discuss specifics but still managed to talk for an hour. Other than the masks, it felt pretty normal.

The first closing meeting was Friday at 8:00 and while I'd already prepped all the reports, I had to get up early to check them for changes. This meant I had to set an alarm (I actually set 2) for only the 2nd time since March. Needless to say, I slept like crap. I was running reports at 6:00 a.m. and powered through the day, finishing at 2:30. Since I needed to hit a grocery store and was too tired to do anything else, I called Andrea, who was in for a Fremont run. I picked her up and we headed north.

Before hitting Aldi, our first stop was the Habitat Restore, which we are always at just before they're closing and Friday was no exception. We'd never been in the summer and were dismayed to find that they didn't have AC. It was hotter than blazes in there so we split up and ran through. I went into the small appliance area and was absolutely thrilled to find a brand new, vintage toaster oven - the same model I've used since college. 

My mom bought one for me when I moved into the dorms and it's the perfect toaster oven. I had scored one at a garage sale that replaced the first one when it died and when that one died, I paid through the nose for the same model on ebay. But that one had temp issues and so the oven part never worked and I had to put the toast on 9 to get a golden piece of toast. Now not having the oven function definitely impacted my cooking life. No more single servings of tater tots and no foil packets of fish for dinner. It just never seemed worth lighting the big oven and heating up the house. But this one had clearly never been used and I tested it as soon as I got home with some frozen perogies from Aldi and they came out perfect in the exact amount of time. Yay! I cannot adequately express how happy I am to have this toast-r-oven back in my life. It's the little things.


With all my shopping done on Friday, I had the whole weekend at home so was determined to tackle my front room, which had been a train wreck since I organized my spare room. It was a total jumble of totes and boxes, mostly empty, with baskets of yarn and such. A mess! Here are the before and after pics. Way better, n'est-ce pas? Between organizing, cleaning and giving my plants some attentnion, it took all afternoon on Saturday and I finished up Sunday. It was stormy Sunday so no water aerobics, which was a bummer but at that point I was ready to sit anyway. I needed to recharge for the coming week of non-stop closing meetings and report prep. As I often say, better busy than bored.


No comments:

Post a Comment