Sunday, September 29, 2019

Week 36 - Preparing to Cruise

It was my last full week before heading to Iceland and was it jam packed. Thankfully, things were moderating at work so the funk I started the week with started lifting. Progress is good.

Like I said, I was in a funk and Labor Day was more of the same so my 3 day weekend was a total loss. I was supposed to drive to Grand Island to pick up fair entries but Helen called early in the day to say she and Charlie were going to go so she picked up my ticket and I crossed that off my list. I rallied late in the day and got a few things done at home, which kept me from stewing more and gave me a better start for what would be a busy week.

First thing up was to talk to Nora. The thing most on my mind over the weekend had been worry that Nora would be upset with me over the sh*it from the previous week. I didn't see her on Tuesday at all but we went for coffee first thing Wednesday and we're fine. I was SO relieved. I didn't want anything going on at work to impact us. By the way, Brook and I now report to Ben - the new guy in the office. 'Nough said about all that. 

Since I'd be gone for 2+ weeks and would be ending the month with jet lag, I had front loaded all my training for the month into the first week. I had 3 classes to teach and one was extended because someone was coming to town from an outstation so I was doing a 2-fer. Between all that, I was sending out an update to of my database to all the departments so would be fielding calls. The week was jam packed and the days flew by.

I was also busy during lunches and after work prepping for my trip. I found some fancy clothes for dinners on the ship for both Anne and me. I was running errands and making piles of things to pack all week. And drama was rearing its head at every turn. My sister, Ginny, called to say they were bugging out ahead of a hurricane. I was trying to get the iPhone 6 Lori gave me hooked up (failed). I was fighting with my insurance company, who had completely fallen down on processing my claim. And I was trying to hire a cleaning lady to start cleaning while I was gone. Nothing like a deadline to get me motivated!

The weekend was my last chance to get things sorted out but with the lists and piles I'd been making, I wasn't feeling too stressed about packing. I had a nice lunch with Lorri at Mocha C's on Saturday and otherwise just worked my way through my final to do's. Anne and I talked/texted a zillion times about every little detail of the trip. Too funny.

On the cleaning lady front, I thought I had one all lined up but she bailed on me at the last minute and so I went to Facebook and found another person who would come out Sunday at noon to see my house and could start cleaning while I was gone. My friend Lorri was also planning to hire the one who bailed so she stopped after church to meet her and then took her to her house. We both hired her and she'd be doing a thorough cleaning on Tuesday so I'd come home to a clean house. Yay!

By the end of the weekend, I had my luggage upstairs and had started transferring piles. While work had settled down some, I was still in desperate need of this vacation. I was ready to get out of the country and enjoy some European time. Just 2 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment