Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Week 26 - Small Town Life


It was a week of small town fun. At least I got some gardening done.

Tuesday was going to be the last nice day before more blazing heat set in and since I had half a vacation day in the bank (I hate having uneven days!), I decided to take Tuesday afternoon off. I called my hairdresser from the road and she could fit me in so I was coiffed and working in the yard by 2:00. Since we’d had so much rain, the weeding was easy so I moved my car to the street and cleaned all the driveway cracks then started in on the weed trees. I’d bought Roundup Gel, which looks like a big roll on deodorant and is the perfect solution when I can’t spray the weed trees growing amongst my perennials. I took one small break but otherwise was outside until 6:00, heading inside exhausted and in need of water and a shower. I was so tired that I was falling sleep at 8:45 so went to bed at 9:00, sleeping like a rock until 3:30.

Did I mention that it’s illegal to park in the street overnight in Wahoo? I saw there was a ticket on my windshield at 3:30. Whatever! I never fell back asleep so puttered all morning until my doorbell rang at 6:45. Huh? I went to the door to find the sheriff and a police officer (2 different branches of law enforcement mind you and most likely the entire overnight contingent.) One of my neighbors had seen my car in the street and my garage door open and sent the cops to check on me. Ha! I was actually touched but what a hoot, right? Small town living.

But it gets better! I was telling my PT the story on Friday and was wondering out loud which neighbor it was, figuring it was one of the 2 across the street who could see my garage being open. Well, he’d already heard the story from my neighbor Kim (one of the 2 I’d suspected) so I was the talk of the town. I’m going to make Kim a pie and take it over on the 4th as a thank you. It’s nice to know my neighbors are looking out for me.

Otherwise it was a pretty normal week. I bailed on Thursday’s swimming in favor of going to a bad French movie at The Ross with Cindy. I finished PT on Friday so am calling my shoulder as good as it’s going to be. And then it was the weekend.

It was still hotter than Hades on Saturday but there were storms coming that would break the heat. Andrea and I were heading to Omaha Saturday afternoon for errands and knitting at Lori’s. Having hit Penzey’s, Michael’s and Trader Joe’s, we got to Lori’s ~3:00 and happily knitted the afternoon away, paying zero attention to anything. Oops! When we left at almost 7:00, there were ominous clouds in the west – the direction we were travelling. The skies opened up just as we left Omaha and we drove home in torrential rain. It was so bad that cars were pulling over to wait it out but Andrea kept her eyes on the white line (it was all we could see) and kept going at 25 mph. It had let up by the time we got to my house but it was a harrowing, hour long drive. It rained on and off all night and there was another 1.5” in my gage to add to the 4.5” from last week. Sheesh!

At least the heat had broken and Sunday was gorgeous! I opened the windows and did something I haven’t done in more than 2 years – mowed my own lawn. John, my friend’s son who mows for me, was away so I got out the mower, which started right up, and mowed. It felt great and I got every little nook and cranny done. I tried to cut more weed trees afterwards but the bugs were so bad that I gave up pretty quickly. It was such a pleasure just to enjoy the fresh air and having the windows open. All good. Just two more months of heat to get through. I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment