Thursday, September 14, 2017

Week 35 - Fun Over Oddness

I’m not sure about this week. It had some oddness but also some fun but was mostly uneventful – nothing wrong with that. Plus it ended with a long weekend. Gotta love that, right?

Monday started well, sort of. I had a 3:00 appointment with my podiatrist about a suspected hammer toe. Yes, it is one but isn’t really fixable so not good news there. It also happens to be on the side where my knee’s being replaced. Whatever. The nice thing was Nora told me to go home rather than coming back to work so close to the end of the day. I happily went home and got all my leftover chores done before knitting, which meant I could relax on Tuesday evening rather than slamming to prep for the cleaning lady on Wednesday. I got to go straight home Thursday too but was back in the pool on Wednesday and Friday. That felt great after not swimming for most of August.

On the work front, I was scheduled to teach my 2 reporting classes on Tuesday and Thursday afternoon and had several people signed up for each. But in both cases, only 1 person showed up. Strange and kind of a waste of time but I could customize the class for each person and so they went fast. There was a strange staff meeting on Tuesday that was about the upcoming budget cuts but with absolutely no specifics. Rather than being reassuring, we all left it feeling icky. At least we were told none of our jobs were on the line but it just added to the emotionally charged atmosphere on campus. Everyone just wants some word on what’s happening so we wait and wait and wait. By mid-week, I was prepping for a new method of doing our monthly reports, which I was training Brook on. He’s a joy to work with, especially after Josh, and they went pretty well. How’s that for positivity at work?

There were a couple of bright spots in the week. First I had my favorite kind of thrift score – sock yarn! I had to buy a few bags filled with miscellaneous yarn to get it all but ended up with a pile someone’s leftovers for monster socks, some acrylic for my sister’s hat for the homeless project and more yarn for the box I was prepping to donate to an after school project and online knitting friend runs in NYC. Check out my new sock yarn. SO fun!

Darla called me Wednesday afternoon to ask if I could do breakfast Thursday morning. She had the day off and since I don’t get enough Darla face time, I jumped at the chance. We met at 7:00 a.m. at Cracker Barrel and caught up over a nice breakfast. I had lunch scheduled later with Dodie too so had lots of yummy food with friends that day. Layton was going away for the weekend so we didn’t eat on Friday but I was planning on a 600 calorie day so that worked.

And then came my downfall. Literally. After swimming, a few of us were heading to the parking lot to see Carol's new Tesla. Well, I took a step off the curb just fine but caught my foot on uneven pavement on the next step and went down. There was a cartoonish pinwheeling of arms but when it was clear I was going down, I tucked my arm in to spare my shoulder, which left me skidding across the pavement resulting in bloody road rash on my elbow, denim burn on my knee and a bruised thigh. It had also rained lightly while we were swimming so there was mud along with the blood. After using a used kleenex from my back pocket to keep blood form dripping on the new car, I went home to shower and dose up on my prescription anti-inflammatory. I could only hope I wasn't too sore to function the next morning.

I woke up feeling pretty good considering and my morning meloxicam took away 95% of any soreness so it wouldn't impact my weekend. Nice. The only firm plan I had for Labor Day weekend was to get Gansey to the vet and feed Andrea’s animals. Again I completely failed to get Gansey in the carrier so when I went out to Andrea’s, I stopped at the vet to get a kitty sedative and make yet another appointment. Third time lucky? Hopefully with drugs on board she’ll be more compliant. I can only hope.

With all my commitments off the list, I started slogging through the spare room. The nexus of the problem was when I put the chair from the front room in there when I got the recliner for after my shoulder surgery. The chair took up the only spot of floor space and became the base of a pile that then spread to the bed. With my sister coming in early November to help me after my knee replacement, I needed that room cleared out and guest ready.

I started with moving the chair back to the front room where it will sit in the middle of the floor but at least won’t be in the way. With that gone, I was able to stack totes on the floor, which got them off the bed. Then I started going through clothes mercilessly with the goal that the only clothes I’d keep had to fit in the ladies dresser in there. By the time I was done, I had 5 huge bags to donate and all the clothes were put away.


This took most of Saturday and Sunday but was well worth it. I still had more to do in there and some bags in the front room to deal with but I had made a dent. And what with Monday being a day off, I went to bed feeling great and looking forward to fun on Labor Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment