Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Week 33 - Back to Nebraska

Monday was my last day in RI and I spent it the usual way – hanging with Cornelia. But the day started with a walk at Rocky Point where Carolyn and I checked out all the new signage. Rocky Point is the amusement park where I worked as a kiddie land ride operator summers during college. I had always thought it was the worst job ever until I moved to Nebraska and learned about detassling. Anyway, now Rocky Point is a beautiful park on the water so better for sure.

After saying goodbye to Carolyn, Corn and I headed to The Crow’s Nest for my favorite meal of fried clams along with clamcakes and chowder. Nothing like a deep fried meal to kick off my day of travel! It was a leisurely lunch with lots of chatting, which continued at Warwick’s town beach before she dropped me at the airport. The worst part of my travel was schlepping the huge duffle bag of yarn, which was fine by me. Nothing untoward happened and I was in my house by 11:30. I was keyed up and so started unpacking right away. I’d be tired on Tuesday but it was all worth it.

Tuesday started off badly though with one of my worst fears coming true. Pie had stayed outside while I was gone and when she showed up Tuesday morning, her mouth was stuck open and had been long enough that the drool down her front had mud caked in it. I tried to unstick her mouth but it wasn’t working so I manhandled her inside, which was only possible because she was weak. While getting ready for work, I was contemplating having to leave early on my first day back to take her to the vet. Luckily by the time I left, it had shut on its own, helped, I’m sure, by all the manipulation I’d done. HUGE relief!. I happily headed to work.

Mary had rescheduled a closing meeting for first thing in the morning so I was busy from the get go. The day flew by and after a quick trip to the market, I ran home to put away everything I’d brought back and do mad prep for the cleaning lady on Wednesday. All good.

The rest of the work week was uneventful. There was no swimming so I went right home every night and gradually got back to normal. I did have a scratchy throat by the end of the week and did the Zicam thing for 24 hours, which either worked to avert a cold or it was allergies all along. Whatever. At least I didn’t get sick.

I had a full weekend, starting with spinning in Fremont, which is really just knitting and chatting so no biggie. Andrea and were thwarted on our Goodwill run because they were closed for a staff cookout so we got to Todd’s in Cedar Bluffs early. Lori met us there and we enjoyed beer and tots with our dinners. It was a nice end to the day despite Lori sharing that she was getting divorced and moving to Omaha. I can only hope we still see each other. If she doesn’t make it to knitting, I guess I’ll be going to Omaha more often.

On Sunday, Michelle and Lori stopped on their way west to take some of the yarn I’d brought back from Rhode Island and then I got busy with laundry and chores. By the end of the weekend, I was fully recovered from my trip and back to “normal.” Just in time for the eclipse, which I’d baked a decadentchocolate cake for. This is the best chocolate cake ever so click on the recipe and try it out. You won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment