Monday, July 28, 2014

Week 30 - Yarn and Produce

I made a new friend this week! Otherwise it was just another summer week – blazing heat and humidity at the start but by the end of the week, it was cool enough to open the windows. I was watering for Lorri and my neighbor so was stopping both before and after work to water. At work, closing meetings started so my busiest two weeks of my work year are here. It’s all good.

A woman from the Bursar’s Office had a party in our conference room to honor her mom, who had recently died. I popped in to pay my respects and ended up sitting, eating and listening to Theresa’s stories, which were touching. I introduced myself to the woman sitting next to me, who works in the Registrar’s Office on the first floor yet I’d never seen her. We started talking and it’s like we were separated at birth. She’s a gardener, organic no less, liberal, my age and single. It was like old home week and we had a lovely chat. I emailed her when I got back to my desk and we made plans to eat lunch together on Wednesday. The conversation was easy and never lagged. We’re going to get together again after she finishes summer graduation and I’m back from RI. How fun to find a new friend, right?

I tried to not let the blazing heat impact my life and parking across the street helped. Have I mentioned recently how much, in a good way, paying for an assigned spot has made such a big difference in my life? Anyway, it was over 100 with the heat index on Tuesday but I ventured to East Campus at lunch to hear Timothy Schaffert speak about his new book The Swan Gondola, which I’m half way through. It was worth going out in the heat and I introduced myself and chatted with him a bit after the lecture. If you haven’t read his books, you should. They’re quirky and well written. He’s a Nebraska author and teaches at UNL.

The work week flew by. I was ticking things off of my Nora’s gone to do list and answering questions from all fronts constantly it seemed. By the end of the week, I was concentrating on closing meeting prep. Mary had been out of town but returned Wednesday afternoon and the first closing meeting was Thursday. Nora was back to work on Friday.

I was looking forward to the weekend big time. I had no plans, which was a first in awhile, and it was going to be hot on Saturday so I planned to stay inside and get stuff done. I’d fought the urge to head straight home on Friday, stopping at Menard’s and Home Depot to buy the egg crate plastic light cover panels I would use to keep the repacked Corelle boxes (the entire back seat of my car was loaded with new cardboard boxes) off the basement floor. So there was that and I wanted to do a bunch of cooking. The house hadn’t been cleaned since before the cookout. Yikes!

Well, I did keep busy on Saturday but can’t say I got anything done in the basement. Nor did I clean. But I did manage to go through every bit of my yarn and reorganize it all. That was because of a yarn fiasco that happened mid-week, where I sold some yarn that I had posted online but then couldn’t find it. I spent all night Wednesday ripping through all my yarn, still not finding it and leaving piles of yarn all over the front and spare rooms. The buyer was flexible about colors though so between my stash and Anne’s, I came up with replacement yarn. Anyway, I spent all afternoon Saturday reorganizing it all, never finding the missing yarn by the way. I have way too much yarn. There, I said it.

I had managed to get the house picked up and the kitchen back in order before I tackled the yarn so I spent Sunday messing it up again. I was drowning in produce! I had picked 2 kinds of squash from my garden then was given cucumbers (from 2 different people), peppers and a bag of sweet corn. The Warehouse had strawberries for 50 cents a box so I’d bought a couple of those too, which would need some heavy picking over but it was worth it at that price.


I woke up at 5:00 on Sunday and couldn’t fall back asleep so was up making an omelet at 5:30. After a relaxing morning of knitting and laundry, I got busy cooking. I made cucumber salad, ham salad, squash/pesto pasta for dinner, prepped a ton of strawberries (made sauce for cakes to take to knitting and froze some puree to make jam this winter) and made an experimental bread – strawberry/banana with chocolate chips. I still have the corn to deal with and will buy some Italian sausage for sausage and peppers but feel good with my cleaned out frig and lots of food for this busy week. I’ll bring a big bag of scraps to knitting for Lori’s chickens and have plenty to take good lunches to work and have more pasta to nuke for dinners too. This next week will be a busy one so it’ll be good to have yummy food that’s ready to go. And the weather will be glorious so it’s all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment